1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welcome to my pity party

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gessieviolet, Apr 13, 2009.

1. gessieviolet

gessieviolet Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday, I was trying to work in my yard but because of physical limitations I had to stop and just sit; I was feeling so sorry for myself! .[​IMG] Why can’t I work at the same pace I did just a couple years ago, I groaned in self-pity.

Last night , I realized had I not been forced to just sit for a while I would have missed so much.

Would have paid little attention to a pair of cardinals that kept checking the feeder, the doves that flew in to pick up spilled seeds, or the very first swallowtail butterfly of the season, or the dozens of sparrows that kept trying to get me to leave the area so they could feed.. That little chameleon seemed to be supervising my sit sessions, and the beautiful pair of blue birds that are returning to nest box for the fourth year in a row. Those four squirrels don’t mind at all that I am sitting not 25 feet away as they play across the tree roots . For the first time three hummingbirds visited my feeders, for weeks there had only been one.

Walked to stretch and noticed--several daylilies are showing scapes -- yet my main show is a month off. Hey, overnight the iris have pushed out bloom stalks. They’ll be in bloom in a week, the banksias rose is in full bloom…………….[​IMG][​IMG]:

Placing newspaper down to cover with mulch a section with the headline: Live it up in the Garden caught my attention I remember smiling a “yeah, right smile”, still wallowing in self pity, surveying the ten foot border that had been over an hour’s project.

How shortsighted of me. Being out in the warm spring sun , observing the abundance of nature here on a lot in the middle of town, I am blessed and my spirits begin to rise. Tomorrow, there’s more mulch to spread, more discoveries . Know what ? It is possible to Live it up in the Garden.[​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    AHHH! I do believe your pity party is over![​IMG] What beautiful words! Yes you were truly blessed with the wonders of spring![​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow... sometimes when God slows us down, it's a blessing.

Stopping to smell the roses.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Listen to the stillness, God is at work!

5. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:My mother taught me as a child to take a tour of your yard.
    Just get out on a warm sunny day and walk among nature and see and smell all you can.
    It's amazing how much we miss being in a hurry to get things done.
    I found out on my tour this past week that my squirrels have 5 babys and they were playing in the trees.

God's Beauty is all around us take the time to stop and enjoy it and give thanks [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I remember once when I was a kid I was bored and sitting outside watching the squirrels playing in my parents' yard. It was during that quiet time that I first felt a closeness to God through His creation. As adults we are so busy, sometimes we need to just be still and let God speak to us. [​IMG]

Psalm 46:10 (NIV)
    "Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth."

7. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    THis post just brought tears to my eyes...I have a panic disorder and whenever I find my life getting to be too much and the panic is getting really bad, I just walk around my yard and revel in God's wonders....Thank you for posting this!!!!

8. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i've been so busy trying to get the coop and new garden done i almost missed the dogwoods and azaleas bloom this year. sometimes you just have to force yourself to take the time. fifteen or twenty minutes won't make that much of a difference and some things just won't wait till it's convenient for you. somehow i missed the asparagus this year and now i have two foot tall ferns in my raised bed. [​IMG]

9. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    The best part of a garden is enjoying it...weeds-n-all.

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Lovel words well written from your heart.... my garden is my personal piece of heaven..... I am always blessed to be out amonst and it in...... amen..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by