Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WVduckchick, Apr 29, 2016.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I read the convo about the comb and such. Not a deal breaker, so that's good. She is very pretty! I like her coloring. But yes, she is small compared to your others. As pink as the comb is though, I don't know if that's a breed that females mature early, but I'd have to suspect some bantam mix also. But I like her! I hope she lays you some nice eggs.

2. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Her intended breed is supposed to be rumpless, but her comb is wrong for the breed, so she has something else in the mix somewhere in her background.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I understand that it is, Debs yes

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I also notice her legs are a bit dark. I think their legs are supposed to be more green :confused: yellow on the bottoms of the feet I think.
    Ravyn will be better at assessing her, but I think you got a beautiful, tufted, rumpless EE. But still some good qualities!

5. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Wow, how do you guys know all this stuff? Sumi asked me to judge a comb contest. I couldn't at the time because that's when my old computer died, but I wouldn't have been able to do it anyway. Literally, I know only 2 things about combs. They grow on the top of chicken's heads and the color can tell you things about their health.

For what it's worth, I like chickens that have rumps. lol

1 person likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

:lau

Not all of my 17000 posts have been in social threads! (maybe 90% lol!)

Honestly Ravyn, Walnut, and many on this thread have been a wealth of information and so good about sharing. I also read the breed/gender forum. Lots of info. Too much to remember it all, but stuff that interests me sticks a little. I'm still a total novice though. Just trying to learn.

ETA - you know a ton about ducks! :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback and yeah, if she lays some nice coloured eggs, thats what i am after. I'm honestly not sure if its a good idea to get more girls from the same breeder. Maybe i should just wait it out with this one and see how she goes (egg size and frequency of laying) before getting more (they are expensive and i have to fly them from the coast to Nairobi, doubling the initial cost of the bird). This lady is the only source of "araucanas" that i have found in the whole country, so its a bit frustrating [​IMG]

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I'm with you on comb and many other things [​IMG]

Living where i do, large rumps are plentiful, so its nice to have a change [​IMG]

9. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    HA...90% social, 10% knowledge sounds about right. [​IMG] Yeah, I've often been amazed by the smarts of people here. One of the many things I enjoy about this group.

Thanks, I do know lots about ducks. I'm one of those people that doesn't take critter ownership lightly, plus I fear doing things wrong so I read like crazy. I studied up on ducks for months before I got any.
    [​IMG] Chris, are we still talking about chicken rumps?

10. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I'll leave that to your imagination [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by