1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WVduckchick, Apr 29, 2016.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia

Awesome! :fl for your seramas, I'm hoping for the best for mine too. And glad to hear the orps don't look too bad. Was looking at the girls yesterday and a few look to be extra favored by the boys, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Did you skip all the swaps today? This dang rain is so annoying! We're at camp, just chillin since everything is soaked now. But at least the sun has come out, so tonight I'll sit on the porch and watch the chicks and drink a few coldies! My kind of evening!

2. WildHens

WildHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    Yeah the 2 today were both an hour or so away, and most of the babies I have I want to grow out some, so skipped them..and the rain..definitely helped sway me..lol..
    Yes..I forgot you set Serama...hoping the hen does good with her 3..figure if anyone has a good chance it's her ♡♡
    I'll be back shortly.. doing a swap of my own here at the farm..hahaha.. getting 2 welsummer juvie boys for my future layer pen ladies.. and selling a couple silkie and polish babies ♡♡ may have some guinea eggs coming too :)

3. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Awesome!

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    So I have a question for my pond dwelling buddies.

I've applied for my state business license for our farm. As far as my research has shown so far, npip certification is voluntary here. There may be some reasons that may make it a necessity, but I'm still debating. So I'd like opinions on whether I should get it or not. Do you only deal with certified folks, or does it matter to you?

5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    At this point, it doesn't matter to me right now. But from what I understand, if you are NPIP you can only buy from NPIP. Some (most?) states require NPIP for eggs/ birds crossing state lines.

If you start to get serious, you'll probably need the certification. Occasional discreet sales to friends, or local sales only, you probably won't need it.

1 person likes this.
  6. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia

If you go NPIP..you can only buy from NPIP sources..
    It would certainly broaden your customer base..
    And it's free here :)

It came down to deciding on whether I wanted to lose the swap aspect for the wider (and likely to pay a little more) group..
    I've decided to hold off just a bit until I've gotten the breeds and numbers I want

1 person likes this.
  7. AxolotlLove

AxolotlLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    Mind if I join? :)

[​IMG]
    This is SpitFire :D I got her today along with a holland lop and a mini rex. She is an American Tan. When I met her, I knew why they called her SpitFire!

8. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome, I'm sure:)

9. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    OMG!!! Why did I get a goat???!!!! Someone send me a lady friend for this boy asap. ..I just caught him doing something that would make any man proud and almost makes the need for a doe obsolete. . W T F??!!

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    :lau :lau :lau

Well, I sure picked the time to stop by...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by