Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Howdy Whites.... I'm back in to the world of internet.... Finally got the receiver mounted a good three feet higher.... That's all it took.
Didn't even occur to me over the winter that the leaves would cause me an issue when grew out....... I'm so afraid of heights to..... So it kinda cripes me when something up high goes wrong....
Leaves are forever giving Sally fits, too

I only have 3 1/4 acres, but half of it's woods or open field with a feeder in it a 35yd shot from my box blind. When things start getting hot on adjoining properties, they'll come in here where they're not harassed that much. Most of what I see are does & young stuff. The few bucks wandering through here in daylight are pretty safe; I'm not dropping a buck unless he tops the one on the wall, & that's going to take some doing. Doe eats better, anyway. I won't intentionally drop one that's not matured yet; too valuable a resource. I'll get fooled once in a while, like last season, & drop one that looked better before I shot. If I can, I'll take a head shot. Either drops them where they stand or they run off unharmed. If I hit one with a rifle, it's dead when it hits the ground; no tracking, no trying to retrieve it on the one neighbor's property. He & I don't see eye to eye, & that's fine by me; I get all I need on my own place, & that's one less a$$ I have to deal with.View attachment 1397928
typical buck in here.
I have a slightly different philosophy to decide which deer I'll take..... Some years I have no choice as I might not see that many to choose from.
But I usually take the smallest deer I see that year unless I'm strictly Buck hunting.
That's because up here we lose a lot of deer to winter kill..... The smallest deer are the first to die..... So harvesting a young deer later in the year is a good use of the resource..... By harvesting a young one....(seeing how it was going to harvest a deer anyways) it doesn't eat valuable food that a bigger stronger deer needs. That's the biggest killer up here in the winter..... Starvation.

Live in Pitbull central here.... Love em but never had one. Agree about good training and that goes for all dogs. I wouldnt mind a pit cross. But love Rottweilers.... Good protectors naturally. They will protect livestock too.

Kengal or Kengal cross would be an excellent choice as well. But Rottweilers are easier to find.

Good fence makes for Good neighbors... and you have to have a good fence for dogs... to protect them as well as your property.

I have eighteen acres and wont be getting a livestock guardian dog till I can get at leas half of it fenced. Good enough for horses and goats. Last time I priced it they quoted me five dollars a linear foot....

Just for parimeter fencing it was almost a mile....... its a thousand feet to the pump house times four.... and thats just for the house side of the road. :th

deb

Happy Anniversary to us, 40 years of wedded bliss!:love
Happy Anniversary you two! :love
I had an Irish Setter that was a fear biter; had to watch her like a hawk. Originally belonged to Dad, but he couldn't do anything with her; neither could I.
We had a Pyrenees that was a fear biter.. couldn't do anything with him either... and had we kids and livestock so he had to "go"...

Back
Top Bottom