Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Not sure; young, though. I gave $30 for the s.o.b. a couple months ago, after I lost Tucker. He's old enough to breed, but out of 8 eggs under the broody hen 3 were clear, so idk. He was so high 'cause the guy didn't want him going in a stew pot. I have an idea he's destined for one, anyway.

Bummer! Maybe he had favorite girls?? Separate him for a day. Put him in a cage. Learn him some manners.

I'm currently out on my front porch listening to 28 cockerels tell me that they are awake. (In my defense, most of them are headed to freezer camp or the swap in a couple weeks.)

I've been offered a job at the high school where I taught fooorrrreeevvvveeeerrrr. They want me to come back and do a couple 10th grade English courses. Not sure whether to do it or not. I would need to do a pretty big flock reduction.... Which I should probably do anyway.... Decision making is not my strongest suit.

Im not counting cockerels. :oops:

Congrats on the offer. What are the pros and cons? Write them down. I’m good at making decisions....for other people. Lol

After Mr. Nasty a$$ gets gone, I'll be down to 2 Marans too young to sex. I may just turn my focus toward Buff Orpingtons if one of these two BCM chicks isn't a cockerel.

I should have marans eggs this fall :D

Bummer! Maybe he had favorite girls?? Separate him for a day. Put him in a cage. Learn him some manners.

Im not counting cockerels. :oops:

Congrats on the offer. What are the pros and cons? Write them down. I’m good at making decisions....for other people. Lol

I should have marans eggs this fall :D
I'll keep your eggs in mind. I wouldn't mind a road trip to someplace other than WI for a change. Heard too many horror stories about shipped eggs & the way the P.O. handles them.

I learned the same way.. birds were tough as shoe leather. Let them rest in the fridge 24 hrs our longer and the meat will relax out and they wont be tough..

We soak wild turkeys in buttermilk overnight. Still haven’t butchered a chicken to eat.

I'll keep your eggs in mind. I wouldn't mind a road trip to someplace other than WI for a change. Heard too many horror stories about shipped eggs & the way the P.O. handles them.

I’ll even meet ya somewhere or keep in mind hubby still comes your way a couple times a month.

I learned the same way.. birds were tough as shoe leather. Let them rest in the fridge 24 hrs our longer and the meat will relax out and they wont be tough..
Makes sense, although it spent all one day in the crock pot. It wasn't the toughness as much as the taste, though. Don't know the cause, but neither of us liked it.

We soak wild turkeys in buttermilk overnight. Still haven’t butchered a chicken to eat.

I’ll even meet ya somewhere or keep in mind hubby still comes your way a couple times a month.
Is it true that wild turkey has no white meat?

Have you noticed any fertility issues with Marans roosters? Tucker (the first one I had) had,if I remember right, 4 clears out of 12 eggs; this one had 3 clears out of 8. Both were young, but plenty old enough to breed.

That's true; I forgot about him making regular trips over this way. I would like to meet as many as possible of the ones I talk to regularly though. I've only met three, & one of them hasn't been on for two years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom