Ladies-Eight

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2018
Hollister, Florida 32147
Why must you use a pointy metal tube?

:barnie

I would be having coniptions!

Our dog must be getting... blind? Deaf? Something? He has started having "i am terrified" episodes where he is impressively shaking and wants to crawl onto a lap. :rolleyes: Poor dog!

And... our cockatiel died... we knew it was coming. She started having trouble breathing ... not sure why it started up. But putting her in a warmer location, various supportive care, didn't help. So... I knew she was dying, everyone was warned.

But she wasn't that old... not that we remember exactly... but older than 5, younger than 10.

Anyway. :(

I thought cockatiels had long lives.

I had heard that you needed to will to someone because of their longevity.

Sorry you lost the cockatiel.

How about washing your hands well, applying medication to a forefinger and gently applying it that way?

Could also use a q-tip.

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Being on an "animal" site, we hear of each other's lost pets too often, but it doesn't get any easier. So sorry for your loss Al. :hugs

I lost a pigeon this morning. Went outside to feed the birds, noticed it looking a little lethargic, so I took her inside and put her in a bird cage. Went back out to finish chores, came back in to check on her, and she was on her back convulsing. Nothing really I could do. She died before I left for work. :(

On a happier note, I took a little video of most of my ducks this morning too.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
I thought cockatiels had long lives.

I had heard that you needed to will to someone because of their longevity.
Cockatiels live from 12 to 20 years... supposedly. So like a dog, more or less.

Cockatoos live 40 to 80.... so yes, figure out what to do with them.

Being on an "animal" site, we hear of each other's lost pets too often, but it doesn't get any easier. So sorry for your loss Al. :hugs

I lost a pigeon this morning. Went outside to feed the birds, noticed it looking a little lethargic, so I took her inside and put her in a bird cage. Went back out to finish chores, came back in to check on her, and she was on her back convulsing. Nothing really I could do. She died before I left for work. :(

On a happier note, I took a little video of most of my ducks this morning too.
Aw man, so sad. :hugs

Do you have any idea why she passed?

I hate when the death doesn't have an easy fix.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Things are always harder when there’s nothing you can do to fix it. :hugs How are the boys handling it. My insatiable curiosity always makes me wonder things like, are boys are more stoic about loss than girls? Maybe it depends more on the kid than the gender?:confused:

I think it depends more on the kid.

The kids were sad, there were tiny tears, but no bawling.

@Alaskan - so sorry you lost your bird. ☹️ They really do become part of the family, don't they?:hugs
Yes, I really miss her.

So sorry about your little bird. I know how quickly those birds can become a part of your heart.
How is your pup? Many years ago i had a little dog that my uncle had rescued that was so terrified I was the only one that could get near it so I wound up with it of course. Had him for many years but eventually he went totally senile to the point he would just lay in his bed and growl not even recognizing me so I was only left with doing the kind thing.

I am not sure about the dog. I just don't know what is going on with him.

It is odd... we picked this dog, a nice reasonable size of 40 to 50 pounds thinking that would mean he would have a good long life.

For the life of me I can't remember when he was born... right before or after kid 5. Kid 5 is 13. I know we got him after kid 4, kid 4 is 15.

So, he could be as young as 12... which I think is most likely.

12 should be healthy middle age .... he is acting old dog like.

He has always been terrified of gun shots, which is just fine. If anyone is shooting he runs home. All good in my book.

But now he randomly gets anxious, super shaky, and tries to climb onto my lap. I NEVER hold the dog. He sits at my feet. Good dog, at my feet is where he is supposed to stay.

So why is he suddenly having terrors?

All I can guess is his hearing is going? His ears are not smelly or tender... so I don't think it is a parasite thing... must be an age thing.

Just odd, I have no idea what triggers the episodes.

Makes me worry.

I HATE the dying dog stage. Just hate it.

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Cockatiels live from 12 to 20 years... supposedly. So like a dog, more or less.

Cockatoos live 40 to 80.... so yes, figure out what to do with them.

Aw man, so sad. :hugs

Do you have any idea why she passed?

I hate when the death doesn't have an easy fix.
No idea what was wrong with her. Didn’t notice any looking bad yesterday. They just hide sickness so well. She was really thin when I picked her up, so she hasn’t been eating well, but I hadn’t noticed. It has gotten chilly here, very quickly, so it could have been the cold. She just hatched this May.

Bummer about your dog. I have a pomapoo that is skittish and scared of lightening and loud noises. Always has been. Almost 16 years old, most of his teeth are gone, his eyes are cloudy, his hearing is diminished. But he acts like a spunky puppy when I get home, bouncing around like I’ve been gone for days.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Bummer about your dog. I have a pomapoo that is skittish and scared of lightening and loud noises. Always has been. Almost 16 years old, most of his teeth are gone, his eyes are cloudy, his hearing is diminished. But he acts like a spunky puppy when I get home, bouncing around like I’ve been gone for days.
Yeah... if he had always been like this... that would be one thing.

But why it has suddenly developed i don't get and it makes me worry.

Bummer about the pigeon. I wish I knew what made them go off.... so I could prevent it. Remember when I had "chicken in a box"? She just went off.. we found her huddled on the floor of the coop, but everyone else was fine. :idunno She lived in a box in the school room for maybe a month, then lived with the half grown chicks who had supplemental heat. And though she clearly needed all of that supportive care for 2 months or whatever... she then went back to perfectly fine. She is still fine. And has it been one year.... or maybe two......

Anyway.... just odd.

chickisoup

one Blessed chick
8 Years
Oct 21, 2013
northern exposure Wisconsin
I think it depends more on the kid.

The kids were sad, there were tiny tears, but no bawling.

Yes, I really miss her.

I am not sure about the dog. I just don't know what is going on with him.

It is odd... we picked this dog, a nice reasonable size of 40 to 50 pounds thinking that would mean he would have a good long life.

For the life of me I can't remember when he was born... right before or after kid 5. Kid 5 is 13. I know we got him after kid 4, kid 4 is 15.

So, he could be as young as 12... which I think is most likely.

12 should be healthy middle age .... he is acting old dog like.

He has always been terrified of gun shots, which is just fine. If anyone is shooting he runs home. All good in my book.

But now he randomly gets anxious, super shaky, and tries to climb onto my lap. I NEVER hold the dog. He sits at my feet. Good dog, at my feet is where he is supposed to stay.

So why is he suddenly having terrors?

All I can guess is his hearing is going? His ears are not smelly or tender... so I don't think it is a parasite thing... must be an age thing.

Just odd, I have no idea what triggers the episodes.

Makes me worry.

I HATE the dying dog stage. Just hate it.
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs
possibly having petite mall seizures? That would terrify him.
https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_seizures_convulsions

Last edited:

Top Bottom