Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WVduckchick, Apr 29, 2016.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Yeah - like yesterday. [​IMG]

2. abbevilleoz

abbevilleoz Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I got lucky, someone did all the work for me. My kin left England in 1690 and were eventually neighbors with Daniel Boone and influential in NC pre Revolutionary War history. We sorta went downhill over the next two hundred + years.

3. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan

I know but i seemed okay for a while.... but I'll be calling tomorrow.

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    That's cool! My dad has his side done for 4 generations, and followed some lines back to Scotland and England., and my mom has written info of her mom's side (Walker). One of the Walker family was an owner of Valley Forge around 1750. Kind of cool.

One of these days I should look into the genealogy better. Maybe when I retire. [​IMG] I think my daughter has mapped some of my husband's side, but not sure how far she's gotten into it.

5. abbevilleoz

abbevilleoz Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is cool! It's not as difficult as one would think. Tax records and land purchase records help a lot.

6. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Neither side of my family had any input in that battle. My ancestors arrived between 1876 and 1890 to find freedom and opportunity in some of the most oppressive and dangerous industries in the U.S...coal mining and copper mining.

My great-grandfather did return to Finland for medical treatment (via ship) after he broke his leg and treatment in Houghton was not able to fix it. He came back cured nearly a year later.

7. [​IMG]

8. Sure you will It's in your blood now . And you didn't hatch them so should be easy . Hunting replaces natural predators that were killed out . It helps to keep the population down and that is a must. So puts those thoughts aside and get out there . I like to see the big majestic buck with the huge rack in the woods . DW says we have at least five bucks running around this year and one is huge . That's to many they need places to fawn and live . I leave huge sections of thickets for them. If the bow and black power hunts don't take some out I'll have to.

9. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    We harvest every year, not out of necessity but because it's necessary to help manage populations. We give away as much venison as we use, to friends who need it or to food kitchens that will accept game.

We only need about one deer a year for sausages but sometimes there are so many we get 3 or more. Since we don't use sophisticated hunting techniques, we just sit in elevated blinds and relax, if we see a lot of deer then there are too many and removing does is the answer.

Our 40 acres is touched by a private 80 and surrounded by 30,000 acres of state forest. Public land hunters take a lot of bucks, mostly large ones, leaving the does. We take runts and cripples when we see them.

The biggest problem is the city hunters who could not track their own footprints from the shower. The coyotes find the "lost" deer and feed. They have become so conditioned that they come to the sound of gunshots. I've been elbow deep and seen yellow eyes glowing at the edge of the lantern glare. There are always stories of hunters "chased off their game" by coyotes. Do they forget they killed the deer with a firearm or bow? Why not marauding coyotes?

10. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    Hey everybody! Wow it's been a whirlwind! We sold our house, moved, and I'm now chicken-less for a while. We are missing out birds more than we thought we would, but I'm already planning future flocks!

Reading about the hunting discussion, I enjoy hunting, and do it at any opportunity I have to do so. However, I was raised with the rule "You kill it, you eat it." From a herd management perspective, harvesting the mature males is actually the best method, just like we cull the excess cockerels. I think what turns a lot of people off to hunting is when the size of the animal you shoot becomes what matters most.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by