Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WVduckchick, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Not all can shot as well as you . Sounds like daylight hunters to me . And you do realize you ain't normal right [​IMG]

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Great to hear from you again!

I truly believe that there isn't a right or wrong overall management scheme. When we bought our property, there were plenty of young oaks sprouting, and low branches on the trees. We didn't hunt it hard, and ended up with does stripping bark off trees in winter to survive. We took out a lot of does, which had an immediate population impact plus cut the next year's fawn drop. We did this for a few years until we started seeing young oaks and aspens survive the winter again. Since then we harvest a few and populations seem sustainable.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    How do I know what is normal? I am the only me I know so it's perfectly normal to me!

4. [​IMG]Wondered where you been did the chickens go with the house ?

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

:goodpost:

6. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah

I understand that, and I think you're right, especially with white tails. For so long, the approach was to just shoot the Bucks, but the does were at or near carrying capacity. I have listened to numerous podcasts where biologists recommend exactly what you described.

I was addressing more the common flaw I see with people's opposition to trophy hunting. From a population perspective, it doesn't take as many males to maintain numbers.

No, I had to sell them all before we moved. I really get annoyed with some people who respond to classified ads.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    So good to hear from you! Does your new place have a good spot for a coop (or 10.)?

8. Point taken you are one of a kind for sure .There are some that are similar but none the same that I know that is .

9. And that my friend is why I like the sale barns . Used to deal with that selling horses .Always sold cattle through the sale barn and was glad when they started this one for chickens and other caged animals .

10. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah

We are currently in a twin home in an HOA, with just a community yard, so unfortunately no coops for a while. But I get to sit and plan out the overall type of set up when I do have space again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by