Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WVduckchick, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, she doesn't look like an old git from what I can see of her... but is that a single comb? She should have a pea comb... although I have had small single type combs on blue egg layers (just ask Walnut, I think 2 went to her recently, lol), but for Araucanas to be true to type that shouldn't be a single comb... Chris, is she separate from your other hens or are they all together? ETA: if she's gaining weight/mass then she's still growing... I highly doubt she's getting fat from yiur feed...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Thanks a lot, Rav. Yep, its a single comb. No surprise she's not the real deal [​IMG]. She is with the flock, but for sure the lowest on the rung. She was in the grow-out pen, along with the new roo, but they flew out and went into the main coop the first evening we got them (and of course, i was not here to try and deal), so i assume from your question that you are thinking that maybe she's also crapping herself silly and thats affecting her possible laying? I have 3 laying options for my girls - one is an communal nesting area on the ground (which most prefer), but then i have a nest on a shelf about 3ft high, and another 5ft high which the odd girl seem to like using.

I'm happy to believe that she IS growing - just that breeders here seem to give their flock one gram of food a day - all the other mature birds that i have bought bulk out considerably after I've had them for a couple of months. Cos i did not see her when she arrived, i have no yard stick with which to measure, myself.

Thanks once again - much appreciated feedback, and a blessing for the breeder as i was getting warmed up to give her a piece of my mind! [​IMG] Guess its gonna be a waiting game...

3. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I said the growing bit cuz that speaks to her being young and maybe not laying yet... *usually* pullets fill out most of their weight by the time they start laying as then their energy is directed towards egg production... not that pullets are completely finished out, but for the majority they are and any addition size adjustment is slower and less noticeable...

Is there any way you can secure her in your grow out area for a while? Just until you can confirm laying, egg color and all?

I'd still be tempted to give the breeder a bit of a chewing, lol... just cuz that's me... :lau

Another ETA: I had single combs in my Araucanas, it can happen... they're a difficult breed in either continent to get correct... but full disclosure should've been given...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Ummm... Chris?

Have you checked her vent??

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    No vent checking. Re: size / growth etc - makes perfect sense, of course.

Now I'm home, checking on if she's laying or not should not be a problem as i am usually out to the coop every 15 mins or so in the morning to check who is laying and who is not, and i usually know by egg colour and size who has laid what (roughly, at least). All but one lay brown eggs, so its not too hard to tell if she does decide to lay.

As long as she begins to lay eventually, then its fine. I did write to the breeder and even stated that i did not mind if she was not yet laying, but she was adamant that it should be. As always, at least here, lots of people do what we call "remote telephone farming", i.e. do squat themselves, hardly ever go to the farm and rely on workers to do everything, so the workers may not have followed her instructions in the first place [​IMG].

Im just thankful for your advice and I can relax a little in the knowledge that she's not past it and that eggs will come eventually!

Just need to check that the new "roo" (who has only just started crowing) is doing his job. Seems i was sold a young fella, rather than what i requested [​IMG]. I need to get by incubator running, so he'd better be hitting the mark!

Thanks once again

1 person likes this.
  6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    You are very welcome, Chris... I hope all works out as you hope... and a younger cockerel is not a bad thing... easier for the older, established girls to teach him proper manners... :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Morning Pondites.

8. Chaos18

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Hopefully she continues in her ways.

My wife didn't want me to have goats before either...........I have goats now and she likes them [​IMG]

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Morning [​IMG]

I have not been wanting to get up this week! Woke up today with a headache, but unfortunately, duty calls. Or I should say duties call.

Have a great day everyone!

10. Chaos18

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    You do the same WV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by