Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Good new week to everyone! Isn't it nice we're still here?
My chickens are certifiably crazy.
30o temps, 30-40 mph winds with higher gusts (you can guess the windchill) and now it's beginning to lightly snow. I open the pophole that leads to the 40+ degree greenhouse and just in case I open the pophole in the greenhouse that leads out into the south run and the open gate to the play yard and the herb garden. Do they stay in the nice comfy greenhouse where there is fresh water and scratch scattered on the ground? Nope, they all charge right out thru the pophole, out thru the run gate into the play yard, tail feathers flyinging in the wind, and make a bee line for the herb garden. However, I do doubt that this excursion will last long before I find the whole crew happily dust bathing in the greenhouse ;):cool: Silly chooks.

Good new week to everyone! Isn't it nice we're still here?
My chickens are certifiably crazy.
30o temps, 30-40 mph winds with higher gusts (you can guess the windchill) and now it's beginning to lightly snow. I open the pophole that leads to the 40+ degree greenhouse and just in case I open the pophole in the greenhouse that leads out into the south run and the open gate to the play yard and the herb garden. Do they stay in the nice comfy greenhouse where there is fresh water and scratch scattered on the ground? Nope, they all charge right out thru the pophole, out thru the run gate into the play yard, tail feathers flyinging in the wind, and make a bee line for the herb garden. However, I do doubt that this excursion will last long before I find the whole crew happily dust bathing in the greenhouse ;):cool: Silly chooks.
Won't they kill the herb garden?

Won't they kill the herb garden?
Hi Al!
Nope. Actually they are earning their keep. They rototill it for me every spring. It's a raised bed setup with walkways, fenced in with a gate. They rototill the annuals beds for me and I just put fence around anything I don't want dug up. Only problem is the little stinkers have developed a taste for my Starro chives after I let them tear up a patch where they had decided to plant themselves where I didn't want them. The chives and the rhubarb are the first to come up and they have already "pruned" two of my patches. More will come up soon and they lose interest once there are more green things. It's a good trade for all the prep work they save me. They show no interest in any of the other perennials and once I start planting the annual beds I just close the gate. They love when I'm in there working, staying close so they can watch for when I come across a yummy grub or earth worm and toss it over the fence.

Y'all, I kid you not I have a broody leghorn. :rolleyes: :lau
(Excuse the mess, she's in the hay barn)
IMG_20210419_223131278.jpg

When I had a bigger flock, maybe one of every 20 would go broody.

Always great moms.

How many eggs under her?
Interesting.

Haha. One and an old tea bottle was under her 🤣🙄 I don't think it's fertile, none of my leghorns will stay in the coop with my rooster, heck I can't even catch them, they roost like 40ft up in the oaks usually. If she's still there this afternoon I've got some eggs I wanted to set after my goose eggs hatch in a few days and I'll pop those under her.

Back
Top Bottom