Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Alaskan do folks in Alaska wear face masks or doesn't covid like cold areas ???
It is VERY community specific, and actually also business specific.

We are mostly tiny towns, or super tiny villages, with only a handful of bigger cities.

Each place has a very unique character.

So... some places have been close to zero masks the entire time, and others have been very covid focused with a huge shift in what businesses are open, how business is conducted, and lots of mask wearing.

Alaska never mandated anything, only suggested.

Each town or region got to decide its own mandates, or not.

Anchorage, which is huge (well, huge for us, largest city in state with almost 300,000 people) did have mandates. They forced all restaurants to close for a long time, then only 25% capacity, etc, and masks everywhere. (So I have heard... haven't been up there since covid started).

Some of the native villages off the road system completely stopped all travel into the village. But, I don't think they mandated masks... just made sure no one was sick, and then didn't let anyone in. Of course, again... there are lots of different off the road system villages, so I am sure all are different.

The natives were understandably crazy cautious since they were thinking this would be like small pox, bad for white people but devastating for them.

And... because the natives have a different health care system, they got vaccines early, and as a steady supply.

At this point though, just since Alaska is so small, everyone that wants a vaccine can now get one. No more lines or problems getting appointments.

Also... Alaska being so small, even from the start... EVERYONE traveling through the main airports got tested for covid. EVERYONE.

For Alaska residents it was free, and other people were charged.

So.... all things considered we have a very low death count, and pretty low infection rates. A decent number of the deaths attributed to Alaska were Alaskans that were not in the state when they got sick and died.

We never needed any of the emergency hospital beds that were set up.

I am outside of a town that is hippy granola, and is very peace and love. But... over time it has become a bit divided politically.

And now with covid it shows very clearly.

There are some places with zero masks, and no one in the place wears masks.

And there are some places that require masks, distancing, hand sanitizer, and super low to no contact, ultra careful.

Interesting.

We are mostly tiny towns, or super tiny villages, with only a handful of bigger cities.

So... some places have been close to zero masks the entire time, and others have been very covid focused with a huge shift in what businesses are open, how business is conducted, and lots of mask wearing.

Anchorage, which is huge (well, huge for us, largest city in state with almost 300,000 people) did have mandates. They forced all restaurants to close for a long time, then only 25% capacity, etc, and masks everywhere. (So I have heard... haven't been up there since covid started).

Some of the native villages off the road system completely stopped all travel into the village. But, I don't think they mandated masks... just made sure no one was sick, and then didn't let anyone in. Of course, again... there are lots of different off the road system villages, so I am sure all are different.

The natives were understandably crazy cautious since they were thinking this would be like small pox, bad for white people but devastating for them.

And... because the natives have a different health care system, they got vaccines early, and as a steady supply.

At this point though, just since Alaska is so small, everyone that wants a vaccine can now get one. No more lines or problems getting appointments.

Also... Alaska being so small, even from the start... EVERYONE traveling through the main airports got tested for covid. EVERYONE.

So.... all things considered we have a very low death count, and pretty low infection rates. A decent number of the deaths attributed to Alaska were Alaskans that were not in the state when they got sick and died.

I am outside of a town that is hippy granola, and is very peace and love. But... over time it has become a bit divided politically.

And there are some places that require masks, distancing, hand sanitizer, and super low to no contact, ultra careful.

Interesting.
You guys are practically your own country. Fascinating!

Interesting.
When we were contemplating visiting there last summer, we had to have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of flying. If we didn’t have results back before getting on the plane, we would have had to quarantine until we got results. (As it turned out, our friends got sick right before we left, so we canceled our trip.)

Back
Top Bottom