welded wire question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by S.L.Swope, Oct 20, 2011.

1. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    so finally building my coop and hope to have it done by this time next week but with only a few hours here and there it's been a slow start.

Here's my question

I'm trying to do this on a budget and have a 36" x 25' roll of 1/2" welded wire but that's not enough I need at least one more roll and in trying to save money can I use 1"x2" for parts to be covered on coop that's enclosed in the run and maybe the roof of the run?

Also I've seen people use smaller holes for bottom half and larger on top, how far up do you make the small holes? I live in a residential are and have skunks raccoons and other small predators that could get in my fenced yard and the coop will but against my fence line. Could I use this method? How would I stitch the two together?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I would run 1/2 hardware cloth or small wire at least 32 inches high so critters cant reach in and grab anything. The bigger mesh should be fine from there and the roof [​IMG]

3. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    some people use larger welded wire for the whole coop. the only problem is that baby chicks could squeeze through. using it up high will be fine. i suggest framing out the whole run area in 2x4's and use u shaped cable nails to secure the wire. if you threaded the 2 together will rope or flexable wire it could easily be chewed through by a predator. securing the fencing to wood is your best bet.

4. S.L.Swope

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    thanks for the 2x4 suggestion. Would nails with really big heads work instead of you shaped cable nails. Trying to work with what I got

5. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    I've seen pics of people on here using nails with washers to make the hold stronger? Or maybe they where screws with washers? looked pretty strong.

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Nails will work just dont nail them all the way down and bend over the last 1/2 inch or so so that they cant pull over.

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    You can stitch the wire together using metal zip ties. Use washers and screws to put the wire up. It can not be pulled off that way. Be aware that weasels can squeeze through the larger wire. I too have taken that chance. After 3 years I have not had a breech but that is not saying I won't. gloria Jean

8. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I really suggest using 1/2" hardware cloth,(welded wire) It may seem like a lot now, but if installed properly you are jsut about guaranteeing that you will not have a problem. It is not fun going to sleep at night wondering if it is ok. I tried, slept horrible for weeks and then made changes., would have been a lot cheaper if I would have done it right the first time. I never had a breach, but as far as I was concerned it was a matter of not "if", but "when": My brother in law in Seattle was good for a year, then one night he heard it and went outside and found 2 of his birds that had been attacked by a coon

9. S.L.Swope

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    My DH is still kindof against this whole chicken adventure and is keeping me on a strict budget "so I don't waste money when I decide I don't like chickens afterall" as he says. He had a bad experience around chickens when he was in FFA in high school. He went to a chicken farm, the kind where there are way to many stuffed in a metal building and now thinks all chickens stink and pee thru their skin no matter how much I assure him other wise. Guese we'll have to find out when we get our own.

Wow rambling...

Ok so needless to say I've scoured craigslist and freecycle and not found any wire but got some wood. We'll have to try it and if it has to change layer thats a lesson we'll have to learn the hard way when he's fallen in love with the chickies!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll take it all in stride and make it work for me.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Build the coop with half inch hardware cloth & be done with it. Your birds will be safe from predators this way. I would also put an apron around the coop & run. Here's mine:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by