Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Barred Babies, Jan 10, 2011.
But they lost their home too!!
poor cat, but good thing everyone and the chickens are ok
That's frightening...We plan on having an electrician install wiring in our coop just to be sure things are done right. We were going to just run an extension cord out there, but after reading about all the coop fires, we changed our minds. My thoughts go out to that family.
Reading about all these fires makes me nervous. For other reasons I've been wanting to move all the incubators and brooders into another building that is farthar away from the house. This just gives me another reason.
I was worried about the space heater last night.... and the fireplace... kids in the living with the fire and us in our room with the heater... but what choice was there the stupid furnace broke?
Guy came to fix it, brought a universal hoobajoob... yeah, not universal with OUR furnace... evidently it's old and cheap... so now he's off to the shop to try and find one exactly like it, and take care of a 'funny noise' call... while we sit here freezing... ARGH! I hope like hades he's got that part at the shop and doesn't have to order it... otherwise I think we'll be packing up and camping out at the In Laws... we made due last night but I don't think my nerves could handle that space heater/fire fretting for another night.
I surely hope you get it fixed!! It's definetly cold. One thing I like about having a wood burning stove is the ability to close it up. When we lost power during one of our rare snow days and it was in the high 20's. We were able to keep it pretty comfortable in the house!!
Huge Thankee to our A/C Guru. They had the part and it's already back and running. YAY!
We have a wood burning stove and a few electric heaters that get us through Winter. I am very very paranoid about fires and tend to be a very light sleeper. That said we have smoke detectors in several places in the house and fire extinguishers in plain view for ready access. I have to be careful when I go into Lowes or Home Depot lest I pass a fire extinguisher display. Sure enough it will mean another fire extinguisher if I come to the realization that I should have another somewhere in the house. I suppose I'm a superstitious paranoid about it.
So sad! I let my poor hens freeze outside.
I have some sort of fireplace with gas,but have never used it. Afraid of the gas part! Plus I never had it inspected. I would rather have a wood burner.Even a wood burner stove!
Quote:When you have the wiring installed, make sure that it isn't accessible to rodents. DH ran the wiring in the ceiling, then insulated and put 1/4" plywood to cover it all. Then he painted the interior of the hen house white to reflect light better. The mice got up in the ceiling and chewed huge amounts of insulation off of the wiring. If it wasn't for the circuit breaker tripping, my henhouse probably would have burned. It isn't close to the house, but it is within 15' of our propane tank (which is a 1000 gallon tank). Could have been a big boom...