Well another project, the area is 10' x 7' need suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dustponds10, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well I have a room inside my chicken coop that needs to be better managed. I have to many roosters and I need to seperate them and their variety into some pens of their own and
    10x7 is what I have to work with. What I am thinking is 4 pens. 2 pens that are 3 feet wide and 2 pens that are 2 feet wide. This should be plenty of space for a trio or so of birds I think. So I am searching your coops as we speak but I need some ideas for doors and perches and what not. If you could post pictures of your pens I would greatly appericate it. Here are the breeds that I have right now. Lavender Orpingtons, bantam pheonix(german blood) and I have a whole bunch of Genetic hackle chickens. These pens are also going to be used as breeding pens for my Genetic hackle birds. Anyways if you could please share your coops and what ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I only have one roo, so I don't know how much help I can be.

To divide the rooms, are you going to use hardware cloth or chicken wire to separate the boys. You said 10 x 7, so then your bigger roos would go into the 3 x 3 pen. If you divided the 7 ft in half, that would be 3 1/2 ft x 3 ft. are their rafter beams to hang feeders from. The back you could build a roosting shelf out of a 2 x 4, 3 ft high, that way they still have space to walk around.

---------------------------------
    | ======= | ======= | 2 - 3 x 3 1/2 pens
    | roost | roost |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | | I would make the other 2 pens 3 x 2, cause 2 x 2 seems a bit small.
    ------+++++----++++-------
    | door door |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | 3 ft space |
    | |
    | |
    | --------------| |
    |+ | | + is the roost
    |+ 2x3 ft |door |
    |+ | |
    |--------------- |
    |+ | |
    |+ 2x3 ft |door |
    |+ | |
    |---------------|---------------|

Sorry about the crude design, hope this provides some ideas.

3. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Great idea there I dont have rafters. when the buildeing was built around 50 years ago the people that owned my property were plaster/ stoco guys so they put stoco through the whole inside of the coop. It is an awesome coop and I really like it I am just looking for some Ideas. I really like your ideas I am going to have to think about this alot being I can do what ever I need right now. Thanks again if anyone else has any input I would for sure be open

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by