Well, apparently my girls don't like their supplemental lighting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarieNC, Oct 27, 2011.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I just started doing it two days ago. My husband set up an overhead light and we put it on a timer to come on at 4 am so they get about three extra hours of light each day. This afternoon I went to check on them and they were nowhere to be found. I freaked, thinking I had left their run door open but I didn't. Turns out they had all gone to bed - at 4:00 in the afternoon! It's a perfectly sunny day and there are at least two more hours of light left. So I put some treats out in their run and popped them back outside again one at a time. When they finished their treats they all went to bed again. I guess they showed me! I know they like their sleep time. Even though their door opens around 7:30 am, I've found them still on their roosts at 9:30 in the morning. *sigh*

2. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    lol.... lazy chickens!

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    That's funny.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of hens are they that are so sleepy?

My hens are out and about as soon as the sun is in the sky!
    But I have secure run, open coop, and they roost out in the run most of the time.

5. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Quote:Two BO, two RIR and two black sex linked. They still amaze me at how late they can sleep. They're about 1.5 years old now.

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Most of mine are molting. I think molting takes a lot of energy. They were never lazy until they started this running around nakey-butt. Now, they stay in the coop. Either molting makes them a little lethargic, or the little prisses are ashamed of their looks and are in hiding.

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I would double check to make sure the wine bottle on top of your fridge is not full of water now...

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Lol! Crazy sorority party! Woooooooo shake that thang chickie baby!

9. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Wow that's funny!

Mine are still young (hatched in mid March) and my first chicken experience (beyond gathering eggs as a child) and they are awake and ready to get out of the coop at 6:30am. They don't head to bed until 6-7pm right now. I wish I could sleep until 9am everyday!

10. cathyb68

cathyb68 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    I hear my chickens and roos every morning at 5:30 am (even now that it is still pitch black out). They head back in the coop around 6:30 pm every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by