Well-behaved pet goose looking for new home/flock

Wolkeana

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Is anyone interested in adding a new pet goose to their family?

I got dumped with a dying gosling rejected by his flock. Now, almost 6 weeks later he is very much alive and thriving. I am very attached, and don't want to send him back to the place where he came from (not very good conditions) but I live in a condo, and am not very well equipped to have a goose for a pet. I really want what's best for him - someplace where he can be outside and swim more, and most importantly be with other geese. He is an Embden or Embden mix. He is pretty well-behaved - we work on his manners daily. If I had a house and a yard, I would keep him, no question, and get another goose or two for company... He does get to go outside (in my company) once or twice per day, as my schedule permits, and gets to swim in a kiddie pool, but it's not enough and I worry about his adjustment as he gets older.

If anyone has a lonely pet goose who would like a friend, please reply to this thread.

He has a diaper (and is good about wearing it) and his own pack-n-play for travel. Also a rather large bag of starter/grower feed that he's working his way through...

:( Bummer, I would have love to taken this goose but I am in Arkansas. I have 4 other geese and a small flock of ducks who all enjoy my pond daily. 3 of these geese are not full grown but I am unsure of their exact age...I got them about a month ago from a lady and they were starving. They couldn't stand for very long because their legs would just shake like crazy and just looked plain pitiful. Now they are plumped up, their feathers are coming in much better, and they have no problem running. :) I wish we were closer and I would take this little fella in a heartbeat but best of luck rehoming him. I'm sure you won't have a problem!

Hello!

I have one juvenile female goose. I'm on the border of North and South Dakota. I thought we would have a house goose, but I ended up getting an inhaler and a machine to pump medicine into my lungs. I never realized I was so allergic to feathers. When we lived on the ranch we still have geese that I pick up and swing in the porch swing but they stayed outside (but now we're older and in a small town.) She needs somebody. She was only with me for about 5 weeks and now she is outdoors during the day and comes into her pen at night. I have a whole mess of goose diapers - she has toys and bells. Did I mention she is a (legal) Giant Canada Goose? (She has BIG bells! LOL) She loves me though and I love her and I sure didn't mean for her to be outside alone all day and I get to rock her (and I do, yes, I sure do {wrapped in thick material-those claws really will slice you open...) once in the evening.
I would love to take a goose who needs a forever home, but only the docile breeds. It would probably have to be shipped but I would pay that expense depending on the goose. My Canada is already a little snappy with my grandchildren and I put her into a penned off section of yard, when they come over and it's not tiny at all. But she needs a companion now. I would pay for a gosling or juvenile Canada, Sebas. (sp) Roman or Buff - please not a meany! There has to be someone looking for a home for one of these breeds. I saw an Emden mix on here and that would be fine since it sounds like she's hand tamed anyway. I got sick when we got her and lost all that imprinted time, but she still comes to me if scared or if she needs something - otherwise she's off on her own. It gives me such a sad feeling to see her lying in the yard alone. I know we would have become much closer if I could have done the indoor diapered goose thing but I take benadryl now before I rock her. She needs more than that in her life. She is pinioned and I have the Migratory Bird Permit and a permit from my state. I do go out gardening every day and she whispers sweet nothings while she supervises everything I do. :)
Anyone know of a goose or gosling - and are people still hatching goslings in the southern states? That's a separate inquiry but I would like to find out.
Thanks to all!!! Have a great day with your birds. oh ps We almost got a cock-a-tiel but I bought the goose first. I would have had to get rid of him and they're pretty sensitive to change. At least my goose is just out there meditating on life and not pulling her feathers out from stress. We have chickens - she stays away from them unless they get too close and she has a swimming pool. All we need is another female friend (I just have a large 6ft fenced backyard in town, so I don't want a gander.) Thank you - I just know that someone knows someone that knows a person trying to sell their gosling or goose - oh and DO they continue to hatch this late in TX, for example? XOXOXO to you all! (People have become used to *crazy cat ladies* but exchange goose for cat and you are OUT THERE!!)
droolin.gif

Last edited:
I wanted to say, if you have to rehome him and haven't found a home yet, I'll take him. Just pm me a day or two before hand. I have a crippled youngster about the same age that he could hang with. If you give your telephone #, I'll call. Good luck

Sorry it's taken me a bit to reply. You sound fairly ideal, except for the whole North/South Dakota thing. Bummer! He is very well behaved and likes meeting new people - including well behaved children (which I'm assuming your grandchildren are). I think you and your goose friend would really enjoy him (and he you), but I'm not cool with shipping him halfway across the country to someone I've never met. I hope you aren't offended, I'm just rather crazy-attached. I didn't expect to get so attached when I took him in... I would actually consider driving him out there, but I think I can hold out for something closer. Thanks so much for the offer and good luck with your goose!

I wanted to say, if you have to rehome him and haven't found a home yet, I'll take him. Just pm me a day or two before hand. I have a crippled youngster about the same age that he could hang with. If you give your telephone #, I'll call. Good luck
Sorry - haven't checked in in a while. Where are you located? I've had a couple offers, but none are particularly ideal. I hate to give him (her?) up at all, and so I'm holding out for a really great situation. So far the best is a vet on the other side of Michigan who has a couple of ducks but no other geese... Thanks for the offer, by the way.

(Still getting used to this forum...)

Hello!

I have one juvenile female goose. I'm on the border of North and South Dakota. I thought we would have a house goose, but I ended up getting an inhaler and a machine to pump medicine into my lungs. I never realized I was so allergic to feathers. When we lived on the ranch we still have geese that I pick up and swing in the porch swing but they stayed outside (but now we're older and in a small town.) She needs somebody. She was only with me for about 5 weeks and now she is outdoors during the day and comes into her pen at night. I have a whole mess of goose diapers - she has toys and bells. Did I mention she is a (legal) Giant Canada Goose? (She has BIG bells! LOL) She loves me though and I love her and I sure didn't mean for her to be outside alone all day and I get to rock her (and I do, yes, I sure do {wrapped in thick material-those claws really will slice you open...) once in the evening.
I would love to take a goose who needs a forever home, but only the docile breeds. It would probably have to be shipped but I would pay that expense depending on the goose. My Canada is already a little snappy with my grandchildren and I put her into a penned off section of yard, when they come over and it's not tiny at all. But she needs a companion now. I would pay for a gosling or juvenile Canada, Sebas. (sp) Roman or Buff - please not a meany! There has to be someone looking for a home for one of these breeds. I saw an Emden mix on here and that would be fine since it sounds like she's hand tamed anyway. I got sick when we got her and lost all that imprinted time, but she still comes to me if scared or if she needs something - otherwise she's off on her own. It gives me such a sad feeling to see her lying in the yard alone. I know we would have become much closer if I could have done the indoor diapered goose thing but I take benadryl now before I rock her. She needs more than that in her life. She is pinioned and I have the Migratory Bird Permit and a permit from my state. I do go out gardening every day and she whispers sweet nothings while she supervises everything I do. :)
Anyone know of a goose or gosling - and are people still hatching goslings in the southern states? That's a separate inquiry but I would like to find out.
Thanks to all!!! Have a great day with your birds. oh ps We almost got a cock-a-tiel but I bought the goose first. I would have had to get rid of him and they're pretty sensitive to change. At least my goose is just out there meditating on life and not pulling her feathers out from stress. We have chickens - she stays away from them unless they get too close and she has a swimming pool. All we need is another female friend (I just have a large 6ft fenced backyard in town, so I don't want a gander.) Thank you - I just know that someone knows someone that knows a person trying to sell their gosling or goose - oh and DO they continue to hatch this late in TX, for example? XOXOXO to you all! (People have become used to *crazy cat ladies* but exchange goose for cat and you are OUT THERE!!)
droolin.gif
Sorry it's taken me a bit to reply. You sound fairly ideal, except for the whole North/South Dakota thing. Bummer! He is very well behaved and likes meeting new people - including well behaved children (which I'm assuming your grandchildren are). I think you and your goose friend would really enjoy him (and he you), but I'm not cool with shipping him halfway across the country to someone I've never met. I hope you aren't offended, I'm just rather crazy-attached. I didn't expect to get so attached when I took him in... I would actually consider driving him out there, but I think I can hold out for something closer. Thanks so much for the offer and good luck with your goose!

Back
Top Bottom