well..bunny killer dog turned into silkie killer

melissa508

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
ma
my doxie who was raised with birds since birth..almost 8yrs old killed & ate my rabbit a week or so ago- well this morning i found a trail of feathers & spot where she went under the fence & the trail led to my beautfil SQ partridge silkie hens feathers & skull.

i am posting her on craigslist today..with a warning that she is a poultry killer

I am sorry about your silkie.
hugs.gif

I would think you could contain your dog. Or keep on a leash when he goes outside to go to the bathroom?
If it was me.. I would rather keep the dog that the chickens. I couldnt get rid of my dog just because it killed a chicken or a rabbit.

There are enough dogs getting dumped at the pounds and beeing sold for reasons I just dont understand.

1 problem with her- it seems to run with daschunds- at least all the ones i know of. If i dont let her roam free all day- she will poop & pee all over the house. Until we moved here last year, she had to be kept gated in a small area if i was not home or sleeping or even ran out for the mail- the free roaming on our 39 acres seem to break her of that.

i finally caught her & she is tied up right now- barking non-stop. Its a habit of hers.

I cant get rid of the birds- thats why we bought this property- it was our dream place to live..we love birds.
As for the dog..she dont like my 2.5yr old son & i have caught her showing her teeth to him a couple of times..

I have a friend who hates dogs, but is in love with her..she sed she would love to have her--im hoping she meant it, cuz she would make a great home for mia.

Im going to have another problem also if she goes- my german shephard has some kind of problem- if she doesnt have a dog companion, she stops eating. she was nearly starved to death after her sister died in 2002..but when mia came , she started eating again.

I dunno- but she ate a valuable silkie..now her poor mate is looking for her & he is normally very gentle, he went after me with wings out making all sorts of noises this morning..he must be skittish due to it.

Quote:
I agree with you on this! Dashunds are badger hunters. They are still a hunting hound. My cattle dogs can be w the flock supervised but will eventually chase, then kill. I have to be with them..Its called instinct....

Quote:
That makes more sense to me.. kinda.. I just dunno if I could get rid of her
But you found good place for her.

well i hope it works out for her..I just hate seeing dogs getting shuffled around but at the end it might be best for all people ..and chicks.

I would rather have my birds than my dog.
If my dog (AKC registered doberman) ever killed a chicken she'd be in deep doo-doo.
If she killed a peacock, she'd be gone without a second thought.
Especially if she peed & pood all over my house!
Ack... I think that dog's gotta go! At least she didn't get one of your peachicks!

Quote:
We have had our Dachshund for a little over 2 years. Crate trained her from day one. She has never had an "accident" in the house, and is a great ratter/mouser. I wouldn't put it past her to kill one of my chickens.. That's why she doesn't get near them.

If she's inside and we are not home to supervise her, she is in her crate. No poop.. no pee.

Works for us.
idunno.gif

Dogs have to be properly trained, or they don't know how to behave. Many dogs will kill chickens or other critters unless they are trained not to. I had to train mine to leave the birds alone. I've trained other dogs that I've had, over the years, to leave birds alone. I now have a new puppy that I will train to leave the birds alone.

Maybe her new owner will train her. Maybe you can find a more sedentary, calmer dog companion for your other dog. I'd avoid aggressive, high-energy hunting breeds, like dachshunds.

Back
Top Bottom