Well.......dead embryos.

kooltex

Songster
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
NE Tx
Sorry no pics to show, but I had 5 bantam cornish that were due to hatch Fri night. Well hatch day came and went. I decieded to float test them this afternoon. After not seeing any movement, I opened them all. It looked like they all died around day 16-17, before lock down. The air cells were large so I'm guessing my humidity was too low. I tried the dry hatch method this time, because last time the humidity ran too high. My temps stayed right around 101, had one spike to 103, and had two nights when it dropped to 98, but stayed consistant after that. Ugh. Frustrating.

Oh, and its a still air bator.

Last edited:
UGH! Isn't it awful??? I had four due to hatch Saturday and none made it either. I have a LG still air that I am going to try to return tomorrow. I didn't have good luck regulating it at all...especially humidity. Sorry about your experience...I know how you feel.
sad.png

I've had poor hatches the last two times, in a still air LG and both times, one factor has been the same: low humdity. My first hatch was GREAT, but I made sure to have the humidity at 65 percent in lockdown, with the humidity regularly being about 45 otherwise. Humidity is VERY important...it only took 100 dollars of nearly wasted eggs to figure it out....

Im so sorry they didnt make it
hugs.gif
I have a forced air LG and this was my 2nd hatch. I did semi dry til day 18 before that kept it around 40% I did have a little trouble with humidity as with the heat in the house now on made it dry in here. I had one spike. But all mine hatched i only had 4 eggs that were fertile out of 13 but I was testing for fertility with my hens so guess all hadnt been with the roo yet. I like my LG but I dont know about still air ones. Been thinking of after Christmas getting another one so I can have one for incubating and 1 for hatching.

It's a bummer. These were shipped eggs too, so I was happy to have 5 developing nice when I candled them before lock down. I didn't check for movement then, but they were def. dead before lock down. I've got a fan hooked up on my bator now. I'm going to put 16 of my own eggs in. I'm going to make sure all is right before I order more eggs.

Oh and seeing those little chicks dead. UGH! They would have been such nice lookin' birds. Perfect legs and feet, grrr.....so mad.

....and to make it so far in incubation, just a few days to go. Then die?!?! Ugh......vent vent vent.......

Last edited:
I know what you mean. So sad, and such a bummer. I wish I knew more about incubating eggs. This is my first time and any excitment I feel is always with reservation.
Best of luck to you on your future hatches. Keep us updated about how it goes with your own eggs and adding the fan.

Back
Top Bottom