Well DH Is Mad

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenaddictntn, Feb 20, 2011.

1. chickenaddictntn

chickenaddictntn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Ok look this is what happened: we have alot of roosters and DH friends show up yesterday and I show them one of the roos, the one in my avatar, he crows at night and I feel that night crowers endanger the whole flock. So I offer him up and late yesterday evening another man shows up w/ a cage and takes the young roo. Well anyway DH is mad said I gave away the best looking one so I told him why I did it, I wanted to keep him also as a breeder but I feel that I did the right thing because I normally put th night crowers in the deep freeze.

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Hmmm, I have never heard of night crowers being an issue. Mine crow day and night. I have never noticed a difference with predators. Half my birds sleep in the locked coop and the other half (dimwits) sleep on top in the tree. Haven't lost a bird in a couple of years to a predator thanks to my dogs who run the perimeter at night.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Other than perhaps incurring the wrath of your neighbors, how does crowing at night endanger the flock? All of the predators I can think of have noses and eyes. I have often heard of something hunting primarily by sight or scent, sound is usually used only at really close range (owls, of course, are an exception, but they are listening for quiet sounds. I'd think a rooster's crow would be stunningly painful to ears like that!) Are your chickens roosting in trees at night?

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I thought they all crowed at night.[​IMG]

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    [​IMG] Mine crow day or night. I have never heard of night crowers being a threat to the flock. I would think it would be just the opposite. The crowing would keep danger away.

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine crow day and night also.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Mine crow all of the time too. They never crow once it's absolutely dark out though.

Are you saying that yours would crow long after everyone else was asleep? Or do you mean he just crowed in the evening?

8. chickenaddictntn

Feb 1, 2011
    He crows all night from sun up to sun down and I've had 2 roos in the past to draw in feral cats, a coon and a few possums. But the point is that I gave away hubby's fav roo. [​IMG]

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Well, since you say they were friends, maybe you could get him back and swap him out for a different roo. Sun up to sun down crowing is normal. Sorry

10. chickenaddictntn

Feb 1, 2011
    24/7 ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by