Well, Fifi has tired of motherhood...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    ...so her babies have decided to take over the other broody hen. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poor little silkie in a pile of standard chicks! Can you find the mille fleur baby tucked in there too? Mama Fifi is out of sight up on a roost. The babies got cold and so piled in on top of the ever tolerant Shorty. Can chicks incubate eggs too? It's awfully crowded in there!
    [​IMG]

Another shot for fun!
    [​IMG]
    The babies are getting huge! Sadly, I think all three standards are roosters. [​IMG]

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL, that poor silkie. She's probably thinking " I want BABIES, not these huge things". So cute, poor big little chicks wanting a mommy to love them and keep them warm. Hope they don't smother that poor silkie!

3. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Awww! That's so adorable!!!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Thanks! Shorty the silkie is being so tolerant. I've been surprised that she hasn't pecked them away. I guess she's cold too. She just scooches over and lets them settle in.
    Won't it be interesting when her babies hatch?

(Pssstt... I'm thinking all three big babies are roos. Anybody want one?)
    [​IMG]

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Aww, what a sweet mama. She should of kicked them all outta there! She probably enjoys the company, I always think about how lonely hens get always sitting on the nest. I would go CRAZY! Who knows mabye with all that heat, the babies will hatch out in half the time [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Her own babies should hatch out on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see if she turns on the big babies. The little mille fleur baby has spent a lot of time in the nest with her. She'll be lonely if Shorty the silkie throws her out!

Meanwhile Fifi the mama for the big babies is happy to mother them once the sun is up, but she's first up in the roost at night. I wonder when the big babies will start roosting? I know they can get up there. For a while she was sitting on them on the droppings board under the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by