Well, finally happened--Cooper hawk --Up dated 9-17 page 3

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodmort, Sep 15, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just went down to give the chickens some veggie scraps and scared a cooper hawk off the body of one of my EE's--not sure if it's one of the young ones or the old birds and won't know until I do inventory tonight. First for me--skunks, possums, foxes and weasels but this is the first hawk attack. I'm just hoping he was passing through. Interesting, when I came down to the yard there were no chickens--all were inside the coop--but they came out when I came there. I'm thinking "I've gotta lock them up but how? " So a I made a "eee" hawk sound and they all headed right for the pop door. They're locked in now. Trouble is the rooster is too young to be of much help at this point--guess I'm gonna have to use other methods to discourage the bird.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If you are not breeding your bird for pure stock. A Good gamecock works wonder on coopers, so does my pet goose. My gamecocks will go after anything any time the hen sent out a alarm...

Trouble if its a dog or fox then he will lose. Did see my gamecock attack a cooper,

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Ever read the story "The Hawk and the Cock" or maybe it was "The Cock and the Hawk" ? Remember it from when I was a kid about a hawk and game cock roster. Until I lost them to that weasel, I had 3 very good EE roosters that protected the hens. Also, it occurred to me today that the flock of crows that usually hangs around here has been missing for a couple of months--they would mob any hawk or owl that was in the area. Wonder what happened to them now that I need them?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:I wanna get me a gamecock!

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your loss woodmort. I liked how you quickly rounded up the survivors, I'll have to remember that one.

6. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Sorry to hear of your loss,Woodmart...It does sound strange that the crows in your area disappeared.
    I've had the same crows hanging around for yrs, at least two i reconize by there different and distinct cries...
    Perhaps a farmer or someone is shooting at them and they left the area...? They are very smart,and aren't going to hang around if they sense danger..
    I'm sure the crows around me have saved my hens many times, i see hawks pretty often,mostly redtails.I haven't see Coopers around, but i'm sure there in the area at least sometimes..
    I like to encourage the crows to stay around, i feed them chicken skin and stuff like that once in awhile...
    I hope your crows come back soon...!

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Sorry about your EE.

We have seen red tailed hawks around from time to time, but seems like they don't want our big fatty chickens. Either that, or they have plenty of other stuff to eat in the suburbs or there is enough tree cover to keep our girls safe even when free ranging. Knock wood, no birds-of-prey problems in 6 years.

Coons... now that's a different story! [​IMG]

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:They were the appetizer. Sorry for your loss.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I have crows around my home a lot, but when a Cooper's came screaming through my back parking lot, they all disappeared. Strange. Then ravens moved in after that. But when the Cooper's left the area, the crows returned in a few days. I would have expected the crows to mob the hawk, too, but they didn't. And, they avoid the area where the hawk usually roosts, too.

Sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Yes I have a pr of redtail that nest here ever year. Never lost a bird to them. Now redtail feed mostly on mammals . coopers are the danger to chicken.

I lost more to dogs, then 2nd are those raccoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by