Well Found The Egg's Should I?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dieselgrl48, Jun 30, 2010.

1. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Well I have 2 OE hen's that had been laying.They were leaving the egg's in the horse stall in the hay.And I had gotten a few in the coop where I have my silkie's for now in a nest box.The last week I wasn't getting any from them.I checked every box in every open coop NOTHING.I had gotten way behind on my weed trimming with the grandson here.I started cutting some pretty tall grass next to the horse stall and got a big bling of White.It was a clutch of 9 egg's!Apparently 2 are from my Columbian Wyandotte bantam.They are larger more tan egg's.I am just wondering if I should even try to incubate them.It's been an avg.of upper 80's-low 90's here for a week.I figure both the OE's have laid in there maybe as I haven't found anymore elsewhere YET!I don't wanna have a rotten explosive egg.I moved a single nest box over there and put some hay in on the inside .Maybe they will take up laying in there until.I can get ONE JUST ONE free day to clean all the 6 pen's in free range right now and get those 2 hen's in with a roo.My 2 lone bantam sumatra hens hang with the OE roos but they have been putting thier egg's in the silkie roost so I got some of those incubating as well.

2. I am just wondering if I should even try to incubate them.It's been an avg.of upper 80's-low 90's here for a week.I figure both the OE's have laid in there maybe as I haven't found anymore elsewhere YET!I don't wanna have a rotten explosive egg.

Hi! Candle them and if they *look* OK and the air cells don't look huge, set them.
    I've found that fertile eggs left out in the heat / weather tend to go rotten pretty quickly, so candle them every few days after you set them to make sure they aren't 'going bad'.
    I found one of my blue Rocks was laying behind their nestbox instead of in the box and there was a weeks' worth of eggs back there. They had been rained on and temps had been in the 90's all week. Some of them were obviously bad by Day 6 of incubation, so I was able to get them out of the incubator before there was a chance of them exploding.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Lisa​

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I say go for it! But Lisa is right, candle them daily and watch very carefully for bad eggs. Our problem with high temps where the eggs were laid, is that the eggs started incubation early! I let the poor things settle in a cool area overnight without candling them first.... every one of them died before I got them into the incubator. Hard lesson there.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I'd probably toss the floaters and eat the rest. Sounds like a staggered hatch is the best you can hope for with a lot of work as well. There will be other eggs. Sounds like you have your hands full already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by