Well, good lord, he's blind not stupid - who knew!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calicokat, May 20, 2011.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    We've had a bantum Mille Fleur D'uccle for about a year and 4 months now. He hung out and ran around with his hatch mates fine for the first few months but gradually became a loner. We noticed that he would walk in circles where he was, not really "Go" anywhere. And he drops his head and goes to sleep all the time, like, right where he's standing. We laughingly call him our Narcaleptic Roo. By six months old, he seemed to become the outcast, never leaving the coop - gee if we saw him outside it caused us to call other family members to come see, "Ducky is outside! Wow!" When we'd put him out of the coop, say to clean or change bedding, he was right back in there underfoot. He routinely slept on the floor, if we put him on the roost, he'd fall off. Seemed to have balance issues and just all around be a doofus. If one of the other birds picks on him, he goes limp and plays dead, doesn't run away. And he's always the first one hit by lice or mites!

Just this week we had a chicken friend over and she commented that he had a little bit of gunk in one eye. I wiped it out and she said it looked like he was blind - sure enough, he's blind in both eyes! Not sure how it happend, but can narrow it down to somewhere between 3-6 months old. Boy do I feel like a dumb chicken momma! [​IMG]

2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    The blindness could have been caused by Marek's Disease. I've had that happen & the bird eventually died. Hopefully his is from another cause and will live to a ripe old age, but if it is Mareks, he is shedding the virus to other birds.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Would there be other symptoms? It would appear he's been blind for at least a year. (Pun intended, [​IMG])

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Mine did not have other symptoms until shortly before death and actually died from kidney failure. It was only when histopathology was done that the cancer was discovered and I had the histo done to try and discover what had caused his blindness. A surprise to the pathologist (and me!)since he was nearly 2 years old, but apparently it was a slow growing type of mareks. It could be cataracts too - Marek's causes what is know as grey eye & often abnormal pupils- you can probably find pics of it somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by