Well guys I think I'm gonna lose a new chicken :( Never mind lost her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cthrash1, Aug 19, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Am off to get some Polyvisol in a few and hope that will help her...2 of the 5 Cochin bantams I got from the fair are puny and very light, all 5 were in the same cage. The one I kept isn't doing too hot. I have electrolytes in her water for now. Had Wazine in her water too but changed out her water and replaced only with electrolytes/minerals. Yesterday she was eating like she'd not had food in a while, had good color etc...Today her comb and wattles are purplish and she is just sitting around...I moved her water and food right next to her so she can reach it easily. She seems very weak, poor thing. I have her in the hospital cage, is there anything else I have missed on trying to help her? Although she is purplish she is still breathing well and evenly no congestion, no raspiness, odd.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, dear. I'm sorry. It sounds like you are doing all good things to help her - I hope she improves soon.

3. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    She died while I was gone... My first real chicken loss.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

5. Brinda

Brinda Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Campbellsburg, KY
    Oh, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

6. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Oh my, I am so sorry. [​IMG]

7. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thanks all, my kids think I'm so cold hearted, actually they just tease me about it, because I stick our dead pets(small ones not cats/dogs) in the freezer til trash day. The ground is just way too hard to dig in this Summer so can't dig deep enough right now. Told them I could throw them in the burn pile and burn them, they both said NO.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

hope you used a freezer bag.[​IMG]

9. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    LOL...Was out of Gallon size so this chicken is wrapped in a Walmart bag...I do have our Oscar(Lavender) in a freezer bag...Asked hubby if he wanted her mounted, she was huge. Actually I keep forgetting to put her out on trash day, have it written down to do now with the chicken.

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Sorry to hear that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by