Well Hello from VA

Lost Farmer

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
Names Dustin, Been a chicken farmer for about 2 years. Had some rough patches with dog attacks (lost 34 in one day). I kept on trucking. I recently moved and had to sell my flock that consisted of 10 different breeds. Anything from Americana to rhode island reds to barred rock to lavender orpingtons. Not a stranger to them but it never hurts to kick back and read what others are experiencing. Here recently the wife has been pecking (no pun intended) at me to get goats. So starting next spring ill be obtaining some Wether Norwegian brush hogs, i mean goats. By that time ill have my coup built to support 10 or so chickens, this time around i want jersey giants or buffs, I know the wife will want bantams...they're so cute and tiny and i just want to cuddle them, i can see it now!

Greetings from Kansas, Dustin, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. Sounds like you bring a lot of experience to BYC. Sorry to hear about that dog attack....I think dogs are the worst predator....they don't take one to eat - they wipe out as many as they can! Goats, eh? My wife wants me to get into that as well. Still holding back for now. When you take the plunge you might check out the goat forum on BYCs sister site, Backyard Herds http://www.backyardherds.com
Good luck and best wishes!

Greetings from Kansas, Dustin, and
welcome-byc.gif
. Great to have you aboard. Sounds like you bring a lot of experience to BYC. Sorry to hear about that dog attack....I think dogs are the worst predator....they don't take one to eat - they wipe out as many as they can! Goats, eh? My wife wants me to get into that as well. Still holding back for now. When you take the plunge you might check out the goat forum on BYCs sister site, Backyard Herds http://www.backyardherds.com
Good luck and best wishes!

I actually caught the dog as well. female Rat Terrier. As much as i wanted to put a slug through it, i caged it and called animal control. It was someones pet and was well taken care of. 1 week after animal control took her, she was adopted. I don't like to kill just to kill, but i will protect my flock with extreme judiciary marksmanship if need be.
I have a friend that lives about 2 miles from me and she is well versed in the wonderful world of goats, I think itll be interesting to see a chicken riding a goat

Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! What part of VA are you in? I live in SW VA. I can not stand losing chickens to dogs who's owners either drop them off or just let them roam free.:mad:

Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! What part of VA are you in? I live in SW VA. I can not stand losing chickens to dogs who's owners either drop them off or just let them roam free
Im about 26 miles west of Charlottesville. Small place called Zions Crossroads.

As much as i hated letting the dog live. It was a rat terrier and it was only doing what it was bred to do. When i found her, she didnt have a collar on so i couldnt go after someone for damages. I saw he walking down my driveway, I opened the door and she jumped right in the truck with me. So right then i knew she wasnt doing it to be a terror. If she wouldve ran, well i wont go into detail. I even fed her, gave her some water and then placed her under a heat lamp while she slept in a dog crate outside. Im a sucker!

Im about 26 miles west of Charlottesville. Small place called Zions Crossroads. 

As much as i hated letting the dog live. It was a rat terrier and it was only doing what it was bred to do. When i found her, she didnt have a collar on so i couldnt go after someone for damages. I saw he walking down my driveway, I opened the door and she jumped right in the truck with me. So right then i knew she wasnt doing it to be a terror. If she wouldve ran, well i wont go into detail. I even fed her, gave her some water and then placed her under a heat lamp while she slept in a dog crate outside. Im a sucker!
I am glad that ended well for you and her, I do not think I could have killed her either. We are about 3 1/2 hours apart! Message me if you ever need anything!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hopefully you can teach her the difference between rats and chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom