Well here goes...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by xxSonja, Sep 23, 2010.

1. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Well my not-so-silkie bantam X hen 'Shnitzel' has been broody for about a week now.
    I wasnt gonna let her hatch out any chicks as i'm attempting to be a lil more selective with my breeding and i havent got any of my chosen eggs ready.
    But since she is so darn determined to be broody, today im gonna give her a couple of eggs. DUCK eggs. Bantam Mallard eggs to be exact.
    This will be a totally new experience for me, Ive never done a 'cross brood' before lol
    She is only a small hen so im only giving her 3 eggs. So we'll see how she handles that. I think she'll be a wonderfull chook/duck mum.

Well here goes...

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

She will do great! Terri O

3. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Yes she will. A few weeks ago we had a flash flood and a Muscovy duck had her nest on the down slope of the canal and when the canal filled up, the eggs were in the hole under water. I rescued 7 eggs, not knowing if they would even hatch. I put 3 under my broody duck, but she refused to sit on them. I also put 4 under my broody hen and last week 3 of them hatched. Here's a photo of my 3 that my chicken hatched. The 4th one in the photo we got from our vet. We run a bird rescue so when my avian vet gets baby birds or ducks, he calls us and we raise them.
    [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I put duck eggs under one of my broody BA hens and she did great. At least she did great until the ducklings discoverd the creek and then she lost her mind. [​IMG]

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    My BO hen hatched three out of three! Ducklings are Blue Swedish x Khaki Campbell. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. xxSonja

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    So i set up one of my quarantine cages for my lil broody, made a bit of a nest and put 5 duck eggs in it. Then i went and got her from the day pen where she was hiding in the long grass determinedly trying to hatch out a rock and a small chunk of wood lol crazy hen [​IMG]
    Anyway as soon as i put her near the eggs it was like all her lil chicken dreams had come true lol, she rushed over, fluffed out, sat down, and proceeded to glare at me in a way that would have made me a little nervous if she had been a bigger animal...
    So i left her to it.
    So far so good. I doubt im gonna have any dramas with this one. Now just gotta sit back and wait for what i will call my little 'Chucklings' to hatch [​IMG] im excited already lol

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Outstanding! When is the expected hatch date? Don't forget to update, and pictures are always a plus! [​IMG]

8. xxSonja

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Chuckling hatch date should be the 22nd of Oct.
    Im photo documenting it for my own records so ill see what i can do about uploading a couple of pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by