Well here is my small coop and my chickens. What do you think???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TCollier, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chirping

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Well here is my small coop and my chickens. I have had a blast building it and raising the chicks and love to sit out there and watch them. The shingles are not on the roof yet but will be tomorrow. The nest boxes are not in yet but will be tomorrow after finish making them. Last thing I am going to do is paint it all nice barn red and white trim. Comments and suggestions appreciated. If you see something I did wrong please let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    That looks really nice. [​IMG]

3. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Looks good! And it will look really snazzy once the painting is done!
    One thing people here will suggest is replacing the chicken-wire with hardware cloth. The chicken-wire is only apparently good at keeping chickens in, but nothing out. [​IMG]

4. crittersitter

crittersitter Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    Looks great! Only thing i would reccomend would be to hang the feeder and waterer that are inside the coop. food is less wasted and water stays cleaner. Great job! Can't wait to see it painted!
    [​IMG]

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yep, the chicken wire isn't going to keep out hungry coons or possums. Are your chickens standard size or bantams? If they are not bantams they will need more room in their run, unless you are going to free range them in your yard. I covered my run with 1x2 welded wire. I don't know how the cost compares to hardware cloth. Also, when you replace your wire, you will want to either bury about 16 inches of it underground or extend it out on the ground and tack it down with tent stakes to keep anything from digging into the run. Your coop looks nice and I am sure it will look even better when painted. Oh, one more thing I noticed in your coop. Your roost boards should be turned where the widest side is the one they roost on. When they get larger and heavier it will be easier for them to roost. Other than that you did a great job! Have fun with your chickens!

6. TCollier

TCollier Chirping

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    The chicken wire is staked into the ground with rebar and stapled with nail in staples to the bottom of the boards that run along the ground also nail in staples on top too. I am going to change the wire too welded wire 2" x 3" opening full height with the bottom 2 feet with a second layer of hardware cloth I am going to fill the inside of the run with 3 inches of crushed granite. As for the size of the run it is 8' x 8' and they are going to run free in the yard during the day. Roosts inside coop are now rotated so wide side is up and food and water are now elevated.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. Jen4

Jen4 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Very Cute... I like it. [​IMG]

8. thefamilyflock

thefamilyflock Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    East Granby CT
    [​IMG] Very nice! You have some very pretty chicks.

9. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    I like it alot! Very, very nice! [​IMG]

10. AJ666

AJ666 Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Omg! I love it! How long did it take to make? That looks perfect for my situation. Wherd you get a plan for that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by