Well here we go..First time go at Hatching..HELP :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chiickadee, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Chiickadee

Chiickadee Out Of The Brooder

This is my first go at hatching and I must say I'm NERVOUS!! But really excited to start this adventure [​IMG]

I have had my incubator running for the last week and received my eggs in the mail a few days ago......[​IMG] I hope the are all ok!

In the incubator they went this moring!

[​IMG]

1 x Dozen Mixed Bantam
    1 x Dozen Araucana

I'm really confused about the Humidity levels needed! [​IMG] Any advise would be appreciated!!
    I have read and read but everything is conflicting advise...

I live in Australia but am getting better at converting the temps ect...I just love this site, so helpfull.

would love anyone who has started incubating today to post their journey with me!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for me [​IMG]

2. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I put mine in today!!

I dated them and did best guess on who laid them. the larger ones I know who it was, shes my rec comet, Cracker, and i finally figured out who has been laying the pale cream eggs! its Ladyhawk, my penciled americauna.

Im so excited!! So scared! So nervous! [​IMG]

I hope I have success!! [​IMG]

And I hope you do too! [​IMG]

Good luck and happy hatching!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. Chiickadee

FANTASTIC!

Can't wait to see how you go!

It's a waiting game now :)

4. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    It is so hard to wait. 3 weeks isnt that long, but when it comes to this its as bad as Christmas!!

Every few hours I go and peek in, I know they are farrrrr from piping, but GOSH!!! I sure cant wait!!

It struck me yesterday, my girls are going to be mommies! I raised them up from babies and now my babies are going to have babies!! That makes us chicken grandmas! [​IMG]

I have no humogrifier, however, the instructions tell me how much water to add to pre-messured trays inside.

What kind of incubator is that?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. Chiickadee

3 WEEKS! feels like a life time when your only on day 1 [​IMG] I brough the incubator of EBAY, I'm not sure the brand...I hope thats not a bad sign..lol

[​IMG]

I can't wait to be a Grandma to a flock [​IMG]...I'm just hoping that a few hatch. Next step is finding something to candle the eggs with...any good ideas??
    Some of the eggs are blue, I'm not sure if those are harder to candle?? OMG so many things to think about :)

Hubby started building my brooding box today [​IMG] hope a get something to put in it!

Have you hatched before and if so what sucess rate did you get??

6. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Nope, Ive never hatched before! So Im as new as you!

I got a hovabator...cant remember the model number. It holds only 1 egg turning tray.

Ive read that a regular flashlight in a dark room can do the trick. Somethine a friend of mine said was to get an empty toilet paper roll and tape it to the head of the flashlight, then in a dark room put the end on the egg. It should work.

I was told be careful that whatever flashlight you use, to make sure it does not get really hot on the end or it might heat the egg too much.

7. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    WARNING HATCHING IS ADDICTING
    WE ASK YOU PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME
    UNLESS YOU ARE READY FOR LONG WAITS
    SLEEPLESS NIGHTS FROM DAY 18-21
    AND ARE READY FOR
    A LOT OF FLUFFY CUTENESS!!!!!!!

lol i have hatched many times before i was going to ask what type of bator it is you have because i have never see one like that before. There are a lot of different opinions on
    what your humidity should be at. a usually try to have mine around 40-45 for the first 18 days and then jump to 70-75 for the last few days. You will NOT!!! sleep for those last three days waiting to see them hatch. For your question about somthing to candle them with what most people use and i use also is a good high powered LED flashlight. they may cost a little more but it will make things alot easier to see. as for converting temps your ideal temp is 37.5 C or 99.5 F you dont want it going about 38.5 C or 101.3 F for to long or below 37 C or 98.5 F for to long. any prolonged exposure to temps over 39.4 C or 102.0 F will kill the embryo because at those tempratures the chemicals forming the chick begin to break down. Once Hatched and in the brooder the chicks will need to stay in around the 37.5 C or 99.5 F for the first week or so and for every week after that you can lower the temp by 5 degrees for 5-8 weeks before going out into the coop or wherever you are housing them. The chicks will need you to show them where the water is for the first time which is easy just gentally dip their beaks into the water is you are worried about drowning a easy thing to do is put some larger marbles in the water.
    If you know all this already i am sorry for wasting your time i just didnt know if you ment this was just your first time hatching or if it was your first time raising chicks all together. I hope you have a good hatch and we will want to see pictures once they come.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chiickadee

First time everything! thanks for your advise, it's hard to work out whats right and whats wrong. It's great to hear from people who have been there done that! [​IMG]

I brought a Ecoglow20 brooding warmer....I'm worried because it looks to small and it isn't a light like other people use.

Any ideas??

9. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    i have heard of them and looked at them before never had experience with one i have always used a heat lamp with a bulb but i just spent about 10 mins researching them. so it says it is go for up to about 20 chicks. I`ve read the dimensions of it i would personally say maybe 15 chicks at the most. some pros are that they only use 14 watts, and they are safe and reliable. some cons are they to take up alot more space then a brooder lamp and when the chicks are under it you can`t keep an eye out on them. some people i have read their reviews they said they love it for the first couple weeks but once the chicks are bigg enough they start jumping on it and making a mess of it also some people found that after the first couple weeks their chicks didnt want to go under it anymore and one persons their chicks wouldnt go under at all. it is also alot more expensive then a brooder lamp. Some people will say that the ecoglow is safer then a lamp which it can be but there are ways of making a lampmore safe what i did with mine was i made a shild from hardware cloth the half inch holed one. Also with the ecoglow because you are hatching bantams and full size it is a little harder to have it that they can allget under. but i would try it to start but have a lamp and bulb ready for back up.

10. Chiickadee

Thanks....off to the shop I go [​IMG], I will definatly get a back up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by