Well how was your turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We had a White Holland hen, cooked it at 325 and turned it up to 350 for about the last hour. When I took it out of the oven the breast temp was around 180. I forgot to take the top off the roaster so it wasn't browned on top. It was very tender and juicy, when we carved it the juice just pored out. [​IMG]

One thing we did notice was she wasn't as flavorful as an older bird. Most of the turkeys we eat are culls at anywhere from a year to 3 years old and they seem to have a stronger turkey flavor.

Steve in NC

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm not sure what was served at dinner yesterday at the inlaws house. It was store bought. And what I have to cook today for our home meal is also store bought. I've not had the heart to process any of our turkeys. Call me chicken, but the turkeys are happy about it, LOL.

3. The wife injected the turkey with a spice juice this year. DUDE, it was really tastey. She is so good at cooking. Pretty simple this year as the families are spread about and some even had to work. Lost of left overs. I can not eat like I used to, the ol' body just will not tolerate it.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    It was quite good. Store bought. I'm especially fond of the ones that have the little pop-out thingy that tells you when it's done.

The real fun occurred when I tossed the carcass to the chickens! HA! That was a blast!

5. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Well, my wife and I wound up foregoing previous plans in lieu of letting the chickens out in their new run. Before we knew it, it was 1 pm and knew we wouldn't make it to family Thanksgiving in Ms 1 and a 1/2 hrs away. So at the last minute (literally) we wound up making a mad dash for a just out of the oven smoked Whole Foods Turkey. Definitely one of the best turkeys we've ever eaten and devoid of growth hormones and antibiotics to boot. We were able to get trimmings too, which were really good. So, we watched chicken tv and did a chimnea, it was wonderful, just the wife and I and the chickens!

...JP

6. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    We had a store bought turkey too. It's hard to beat $.39 per pound. I stopped doing anything extra to turkeys long ago. I take it out of the bag, rinse it, and throw it in the oven till the button pops. As always, it was delicious. I didn't read the bag, but I would assume that it had already been injected with a brine solution.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our's was a little dry, but I like the white meat that way.

I still feel stuffed!

8. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I did my first BR. It fit in the roaster but without the lid. Legs were too long. The top half was done and delicious. The lower half did not get finished, [​IMG] so I had to continue cooking while we were dining. I don't know about that oven. It seems to always mess up my "big" dinner plans. I already told DH that for Christmas, the bigger bird will be cooked in the canning kitchen in the barn. THAT oven is reliable. [​IMG]

The white meat was juicy and delicious. I'm more of a wing/thigh person, so leftovers will be delightful today! [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    This was the second BBW we ate that I raised this year. The first we deep fried and it was great. yesterday I did one the traditional way. It was a little over 9 lbs and came out PERFECT the white meat was nice and moist and none of it was over or under cooked. Everyone said it was the best turkey ever.

This was my first time raising turkeys and I will def. do it again every year to come [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I had a Butterball [​IMG] because my friends where I ate dinner had a Coupon for the store. It was juicy but bland. On Sunday I'll report back on one of my Bourbon Reds because we're having it for a big family birthday celebration. I'm sure it will be much tastier!

By the way, what is the difference between white meat and dark meat? I've always preferred the dark meat (has more flavor) but I'm just curious why there are 2 kinds of meat in a bird: Are they different nutritionally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by