Well, I added the light.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by All about the EGG, Nov 28, 2008.

1. I hooked up a 25 watt frosted bulb light. I am going to set it for 6am and off at 8am. Will it scare the poop out of them when it goes from light to dark in a FLASH?

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    It does make a difference that's for sure.I didn't do it this year since I have so many molting.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    It can scare them.

If your coop gets some daylight, try turning it off and on during those times. It will allow the birds to adjust to the experience.

One-half of my coop has no daylight right now except what comes in thru a small chicken door. The light is on thru the day as you suggest.

When I first start using the light, I have a window to open so the light could be turned off. Getting a little cold here for opening that window during the daytime, now. I like to have the temps above freezing on that side altho' they can come outdoors whenever they want.

Steve

4. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    What time does it get light where you are? It starts to get light here between 6:30 and 7:00 and we have our light come on at 2:00 AM and go off at 7:00 AM. It has made a big difference in egg production.

5. It gets light between 630-7am. I have the light shining up at the ceiling, so as not to be too bright.

Maybe I should extend the evening hours.

6. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    I have mine timed to come on at 3:30 am and off at 7am. I am not bothering with an extension of light in the evening. This gives them 14 1/2 hours of light. In a couple weeks it will go on at 3am, but that's it.

7. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Mine are on at 4am and off at 8am and working out good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by