1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well I am dealing with my first chicks and ducklings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by missnu01, Mar 9, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    On 3/6 we got 4 Pekin ducklings, 5 straight run Buff Orpington, and 10 cornish rocks...
    On 3/7 we got 2 mallard ducks, 2 assorted red pullets, and 5 straight run leghorns.

This has been my first experience with chicks or ducklings, and so far everything is going great. The Pekins are not at all fond of us. They actually run to the opposite side of the brooder when they see us...I am trying really hard to teach them that hands are a sign of good things to come, but they are super distrustful. All the chicks are calm and easy going, except for most of the leghorns, but they still don't freak out like the Pekin ducks. The mallards actually fell asleep on my 3 and 6 year old's laps...and they chase our dogs...They are hilarious. 2 of the Pekin ducks are a little older...which might be why they hate us so much. They have to be a few weeks because they are going bald in some spots, and turning whitish in other spots, and they are so so so much larger than the other 2 smaller daintier Pekin ducks. The larger 2 fight much harder. Would it be a good idea to just hold each one a few times everyday and just let them fight through it til they realize nothing awful is going to happen? I super want them to be my friends.
    The meat birds are also terribly personable. Don't mind being held and petted not one little bit...
    The mallards take the cuteness cake though. I like how fast they move. Like little bugs. Anyway just checking in and letting everyone know what's up. Think I'm going to get a few Easter Eggers tomorrow, just to make it a round 25. Lol.
    I'm totally hooked on chicks. And so are the kids. Especially my daughter. Every moment she wants to hold a baby chick..or a baby duck. I need to get her holding the Pekin ducks more. They are just large and unwieldy. They are hard to hold onto, especially for little hands. Heck, hard for big hands.
    Has anyone else noticed that chickens wings, even chicks look sort of proportioned, but ducklings look like bumble bees...huge duckling body, little itty bitty wings...Hilarious.
    Anyway... I'll try to get some pics uploaded within the next few days. Everything has been a whilrwind of activity.

2. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

My pekins are exactly the same way. They're out in their coop now and they still act similarly to how they did in the brooder. They run in the opposite direction. I have 13 of them and they are going on about 7 wks old now. Starting to look really full grown but they are still skittish. Though they are slowly starting to improve since I'm constantly working around their run.

3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Ok guys, I have a problem..I might be falling in love with the meat birds...they are so friendly and inquisitive. Even my 3 year old can just sit and chill with them in his lap...they are sturdy and funny, but they grow up so fast! Way faster than the other chicks...they're starting to roost and stand tall like chickens...we just got them on the sixth... 2 of the Pekin ducks are way bigger than the other 2 and already starting to turn white...so fast.
    Then again the leghorns already have their whole wings and tail feathers in...
    Like whoa! I go to bed and wake up to different chicks almost. So awesome! Yay!
    Sorry I am enjoying the heck out of this. We also set up a really large outdoor brooder for the Pekins and meat birds. Have to get a thermometer and see what the temp gets to under the light in the night. It's still pretty freaking cold, but the lamps are 250 w and I think those 2 would be more comfortable kept a little colder. I also want to separate the meat birds from the others. So we can focus more on the layers we will be keeping and interacting with daily.
    And they both need more room! Quick!

4. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    On 3/8 we got 4 EEs that are supposed to be sexed...so hopefully they are in fact all female. Everyone is still doing well, and growing well. Brooder cleanup is a nightmare. I think I will take stock in wood shaving companies in springtime...It's ridiculous how often I have to change out all the bedding. 2x a day would be better, but everyone will make do with once a day. This is some work for sure. I have the thermometer in the outdoor brooder for tonight, so tomorrow the pekins and meaties can make their way outside.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by