Well, I am not exactly new, but I haven't been here in a LOOONNNGGGG time.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kari_dawn, Aug 14, 2014.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Howdy from Texas.

It's been a super long time since I have showed up around these parts. I kinda backed off for a while when I lost all but my two BLRW girls to some voracious predators. Even after I replaced my losses, I again lost the whole crew after a big move, where I went from full time city official to full time college student. After the move, my new flock, including my two old BLRW girls, got picked off one by one due to a rogue heeler mix that kept digging under my fence (it appears the neighbors have since gotten rid of her).

I have one soul survivor. A Blue Orpington, all by her lonesome. I have been heistant to name her...I am afraid of loosing her.

I have been too afraid to get more chickens because of all my losses, but I can't stand to see my little (big) beautiful blue orp out there all by herself. So, I have 16 new peepers on their way here. They are scheduled to arrive around the 24th, and I figured it was time to come back for some support, and stories. SO, here I am.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. Phionex Man

Phionex Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    welcome back! Howdy :) Hope you have a better experience! i lost 6 in my whole life with chickens.. it was hard! Good Luck!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome back to BYC! [​IMG]

It is never easy to lose your birds. I am sorry for all your losses. [​IMG] But keeping them far outweighs the sorrow in the end. Chickens are just SO much fun to keep.

Make sure you have a very secure coop and run. Feed them well and enjoy them while you have them! If you have any questions along the way, that is what we are here for.

Enjoy your new chicks when they arrive and welcome to our flock!

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    the run/coop was only infiltrated once, and it was disasterous. I was living in a place with an incredibly high predator density then (we had a creek across the street, and the area is HEAVILY wooded, and loaded with resident hawks) My new house has a more secure area for them. The neighbor dog picked them off free-ranging (I have a half acre, and the girls were allowed to roam while I was in class). I expect losses from time to time, just not an entire flock worth :(

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oh, and thanks guys ^_^

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your losses!![​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for your losses. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, perhaps not too far from where you are (Blue Ridge and Greenville, about an hour NE of Dallas). Blue Orpingtons are gorgeous birds. I have the Buff Orpingtons and they are hardy, friendly and gentle, and good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks do you have coming?

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome Back To BYC! Sorry for the losses with the older flock, good luck with the new chicks, hope they all arrive safely!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Kari Dawn I remember you. too bad some of the bobcats can't take care of your dog problem and the hawks. So sorry you had such heavy losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by