Well, I candled last night

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It was Day 9 last night and I candled my eggs. I've determined I totally suck at it.

Out of 14 eggs, I saw 3 moving embryo's, veins on 2 others and I'm almost positive 1 has a blood ring. (left it in for a couple more days to be sure) Other than those, the rest are [​IMG] . I could definitely see a dark spot on them, so I know they aren't infertile, but couldn't see veins or movement.

I am happy that I saw movement in 2 of the Welsummer eggs. Those eggs are just so darn hard to see into.

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

The same thing happened to me on some of my eggs. I couldn't see much at all around day9. I marked them, and put them back in. I then checked them periodically if I had to add water. I can now see veins, and movement in those eggs. I thought about tossing them earlier with the two that had blood rings, and I'm glad I didn't. They are developing, I guess I couldn't see much because of the egg shell color.

Bluemoon

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That gives me some hope, thanks. I figure I'll candle again Wed, which will be Day 12. [​IMG] I'll see more movement and veins.

4. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    When I candled last night I kept my 3 that I was pretty sure wouldn't hatch because I'm not experienced. It was day 7 for me. I'm just going to keep an eye and a nose on them and re-candle them around day 14 when I should be able to see plenty.

Laney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by