Well I did it yesterday --- so far so good PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, Aug 5, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well I have 5 - 16 week olds, 8 - 10 week olds and 5 - 6 week olds that have all lived in the same coop since day one when they came home. I have had them all seperated by a chicken wire wall and they have always been able to see each other but not get to each other. I also have 19 new ones coming September 11 and we are in the process of building a 8 x 22 foot run to add to the 10 x 12 foot run they have now. The little ones have always had thier own pen all be it a temporary one. So yesterday while building on the new run I got this big idea of beginning to integrate all of the ones we have now as we will have to do it before the new ones come next month. So yesterday I took down just enough wire so the little ones could venture to the big side but the big ones could not get through to the little side------ or so I thought. We looked down at one point and three of the big ones were in the little pen and some of the little ones were in the big pen. I could not believe they could get through the little hole. We let it be until the afternoon and all seemed to be doing pretty well . Some chasing , but very little pecking at all. Dirty stares , chasing and avery few pecks --- the best we could hope for. So I ended up taking all the wire down last night and all went pretty well. Bedtime was a little rocky as the little girls wanted the BIG roost and it was a no go ---- last night, some serious pecking going on, but all settled in for the night. This morning when I went in to let them out, ALL the little girls were on the big roosts and the big girls were on the floor wanting out. Still a little chasing going on and some staring , but I 'd say I was extremely lucky with the transition as things are pretty calm, they are still establishing the pecking order ---- but it went miuch better then I had hoped. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's great!! It's wonderful when all goes well, isn't it? I recently took down the barrier between my 11 wk old chicks and my 8 yr old hens. It's gone pretty well and the chicks are getting much bolder around the big girls but I can't wait until everyone is ignoring everyone else.

3. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yep, me too! I fgure by Thursday it will all be old news and things will be back to normal again, right now I just checked on them and all the little ones are in the big run and the big ones are in the little again. Just like they think they are getting away with something! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by