Well....I didn't INTEND to get more brown egg layers......lol

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Farm_Maven, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Went to the 4-H Poultry Chain auction. Got there way later than I had intended to (volunteered), because my tummy was wonky this morning. They auctioned RIR's in batches of seven with 150 total. Of course they had a short batch of 4. One of the County Supervisor's crew bought them just to support the project. So.. he had them in a cage with a sign saying $9 each with a number to call. They are now mine!! Got them set up in the quarantine pen. They are eating well, drinking some water w/acv. And when I called the genneman about the girls, he said one of them laid 1st egg today! They are 4.5 months old. Will get pix up soon. Gotta run back to town in a min. [​IMG]

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Wow, what a great find! Congratulations.

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

5. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    congrats [​IMG]

(I have not been to any of the local 4-h type shows ..... YET. Is it normal they sell for that much? sounds kinda high for RIR. It goes to a good cause, so no complaints. just wondering)

6. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I was told most of them sold for like 20 bucks or so! But yes, I am pretty sure it was for the 4-H cause that they went for that much. But I paid 10 dollars for a grown production red this spring, so nine isn't high.

7. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    And here is a pic of the new girls in their temporary quarantine apartment.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by