well, I feel guilty.

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Well we did it.

Sunday night I brought 3 belts toms, 5 roos and 2 muscovies to the processors.

I have gotten over the fact that they were going to be slaughtered but what bothers me is the fact that they probably felt afraid before hand. I hate the thoughts of the way the processor probably handles the birds before they are actually killed. My guess is rather harshly. When they have so many to do in a day I can't imagine they take the time to carefully remove the birds out of the crates.

The worst part of it all??? I had to catch the ducks and chickens and run all over chasing them down. The turkeys came willingly. It just makes me sad.

I know probably the only way to remedy this in the future would be to process them myself. Then I could control the way they are handled right up until death but I know I would be to grossed out to eat the meat if I even saw the process.

I guess I just need to get over it.

hugs.gif

hmm.png

Sorry your feeling bad....
hugs.gif

I butcher my own.

I know they are Calm and there is no pain this way.

I can do anything I put my mind to....I may regret it later, But I can do it.

I mistakenly butchered a hen I thought was a roo, when I got yolks, I was very upset!~

But it was all over by then.

I think I could probably process them myself. I just don't think I could eat it after.

Thanks guys, I guess maybe its just one of those things you get over eventually.

Another thing I've learned (and remember I am a novice). They don't mark the birds. All the carcasses look the same too me. I sent some pretty big muscovies. I don't know who's a duck who's a chicken and who's a turkey. I have some narrowed down by size...but I don't know.

Over the past couple of months I've had 3 pigs processed. The owner of the shop that does our cut and wrap also comes out to do the farm butcher. The first time he came out I was surprised at how easy going and actually gentle he was in approaching the pig. It really helped ease my feelings about killing them. So, it's entirely possible there are people out there who treat animals with respect when it comes to butchering.

We process our own chickens, ducks and turkeys and try to keep them calm as we go about processing them. We handle them gently, talk to and pet them. I'm a former city girl and have been surprised at my ability to process our own birds. A year ago I never would have imagined raising my own turkeys and chickens for meat, much less doing our own processing.

I hope you feel less guilty soon and are able to enjoy the meat.
hugs.gif

About standard poultry processing facilities:

-- It isn't possible to handle birds humanely at factory speeds.
-- Some of the methods used are inherently inhumane.
-- Some of the steps are not consistently reliable so they frequently become inhumane.
-- Most of the workers and supervisors have become calloused, so they aren't very careful.
-- Some of the workers "goof off" in ways that are unconsienceable in working with living creatures.

There are places that use "controlled-atmosphere killing" (CAK), which do the processing humanely.
While the birds are still in their shipping cages, inert gas is used to kill them without pain or stress, and then they are processed.

I would recommend finding a facility that uses CAK or an individual buyer you know will handle the birds humanely, or processing them yourself.

It is admirable that you are wanting to figure a caring solution. Best wishes in working out the best way.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! I knew there must be an easy way to tell!

Oh and Steve I've been meaning to ask you a question about my belts. I noticed one hen has one tiny black feather....does this mean perhaps another breed was mixed in at some point? Or do belts occasional have a black feather here and there?

Back
Top Bottom