1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well, I got a puppy!-- updated with 2 more pics in first post.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NurseNettie, Dec 5, 2008.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Long story short-- some heartless folks didn't want their dogs anymore-- somehow, momma dog is deceased, two pups were to follow in her footsteps. A young man took the 2 pups. An employee of the agency I work for asked around today--- and it was the day that I finally convinced DH to let me bring home a pup ( I've been trying for years, now that we own our home, he had originally agreed to "wait til spring").
    Supposedly he's not quite 7 weeks- really too young to be without momma dog, but she is no more sadly-- I've got a cute yellow lab mix, and his brother, a chocolate lab mix, is now up the road at a co-worker's home.

He's cute-- ( finally asleep-- howls in the crate-- and since it's dh's night off, I"m dogsitting downstairs to keep the peace--- I'm going to let him howl tomorrow night when dh is gone to work) and I anticipate a lot of work ahead of me.

Would LOVE suggestions about puppy training books/ videos/ websites if you all have any. Going to a puppy training class or hiring a trainer is not an option where I live, or I'd take a class!

Here he is! No name yet-- gotta figure that out!

[​IMG]

Edited to add these pics I took today--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I used a clicker from petsmart to train our Chihuahua's. They are just samll plastic things you hold in your hand and when the dog follows the comand you click it and give the treat. It worked very good as they know the sound means they did the comand. After a while you don't need the clicker anymore. There is a whole book on training with it. I bought it from Petsmart also, but you might be able to find a good training book at the library.

3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I got my chocolate lab/springer spaniel pup almost 4 weeks ago..he's 11 weeks right now . He still pee's on the floor once a day , and needs to chew on everything ! I still love him to death though ! My friend told me to get the Cesar Millan book...can't remember what it's called , but it's his newest one . She has 2 pitbulls and it has worked wonders on them ! If you watch tv...he's the one they call the "Dog Whisperer" . Really neat to watch him work with all the different dogs . I make my puppy sit at the door until I get in and then "invite" him in . That way he won't think just because someone is going inside , he can too . I just need to beat that into my hubby , he lets the dog do whatever it wants ![​IMG]

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Very cute!! I liked a couple books by the monks of New SKete;HOw to be your Dog's best friend and The Art of raising your puppy both very good books.Crate training is a must.Remember the only accident with house breaking is your accident you weren't watching.Let them howl in the crate if you don't think they are howling to go poddy only let pup out when he is quiet.If you let him out when he is howling you are reinforcing the howling.Until they can control their bladder better, say 3-4m I carry them outside from the crate.. and only go back in after pup has done his business.You have to stay out there and make sure business is taken care of.I always give a commmand while out using the bathroom I keep repeaating go peepee go peepee once the dog does I say good pee pee good peepee then give a little treat.Take pup out after meals as soon as he wakes up and always after playing.Any out of crate time has to be supervised. I take them out every 2hrs.Put a bell on the door you are going to use on a string so pup can nudge it with his nose to make it ring.As you go in out with pup it will ring and he will eventually learn to ring the bell to go out.You can pm if you have more questions.hope this helps lots of great books out there Ceasar Milan books are good too.

5. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    :Dyay puppies! I foster tons of pups and I love to start training them before they go to their new homes. In the dog training world a lot of people recommend the books by Ian Dunbar a vet/trainer. The one I would look into is "after you bring your puppy home" A good BASIC starter book is "the simple guide to puppies" by stacey kennedy. I recommend both books to all the puppy adoptors form the shelter.
    And of course, SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE. More dogs die from anti-social behavior than any kind of illness, so show that boy off. Let everyone visit with him and hold him. Take him everywhere. he looks like he might have Jindo in his heritage. (or even Husky) Good luck!!

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    What a very cute pup. Some good advice already been posted. I think patience and consistency are the most important things. Our young springer is just over a year now and was very quick to train - he is very intelligent. To house train you need to anticipate accidents so outside after sleep, play and food. It takes a lot of time but is worth it. do not scold accidents - they are your fault.
    Have fun with your little one - they grow incredibly fast!

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i agree lots of good advice here!

i liked Dog Training for Dummies. had neat stuff and easy to apply.

got a name yet? what about Splinter? he'll get under your DH's skin soon, with a sweet face like that! i'm jealous to the core!

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! love the chubby belly!! what a cutie!!

9. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Awesome advice from everyone-- thanks and keep it coming!!!

10. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Great pup...1 thing that helps mine to calm down and sleep was my grandsons Have a heart Bear. We got it when he was born and it has a heart beat in it . Not to expensive and my dog loved it as she didnt feel alone and it worked for a orphaned goat I had to bring in as he was by himself also . Well worth the batteries...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by