Well I got attacked his morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CocoPopz, Feb 24, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I have over 20 chickens up on a yard where my stables are and they free range over 5 acres. I also have a big brooder house with electric on my back garden and a small shed with a run for any broodies with chicks/hatched chicks and any chickens that are old and are showing signs of dying. Over 6 weeks ago now one of my ex battery hens started looking ill, didn't move and fluffed up, not eating so I brought her home and kept her with her broody buddy ( I knew she wasn't contagious) she started eating and drinking and had good quality life, she doesn't move around much. This afternoon I was there filling their water dish up, I was still finishing my bakewell slice (almond cake) and just had it in my mouth whilst both hands was busy, then in a split second, my old girl came at me like a rocket, stole my bakewell slice and ran off, I've never looked so shocked, and couldn't stop laughing, I didn't even see her move she was so fast....so much for dying [​IMG] rocket hen
    Is it possible she's just faking this illness so she could stay with her broody buddy? [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done on her part! I think that she has conned you. Once at the beach a seagull came from behind over my wife's shoulder and snatched a submarine sandwich out of her hand. She was not pleased as I writhed in laughter. [​IMG]

3. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Haha I bet she wasnt...I was gutted about my cake but at the same time couldn't stop laughing, watching her run off in circles away from broody and her babies trying to take it [​IMG] I did not expect it, she came out of nowhere haha

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote:
    It sounds to me like your slice of almond cake smelled either like a Garter Snake or else a Mouse. Your hen "old girl" obviously expected you to play a game of tag or else keep-away with her, with your almond cake taking the place of the reptile or a rodent.[​IMG] Maybe you should read the label to see exactly what ingredients are in your cake.[​IMG]

5. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Haha yeah she clearly thought I would get it back the way she was running in circles [​IMG] don't tell me that, you'll have me reading the labels tomororw haha

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Hahahaha I though this was going to be another mean rooster thread...

7. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

I second that.

8. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Haha ah no, I have many stories about my old evil cockerel that I spoilt that much when he was a chick he turned to a brat haha, my story is way better than the typical cockerel attack...mine involved cake [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your "attack" sounds all too familiar! This past summer, a group of friends thought it would be a capital idea if they brought pizza up the mountain and we would all have a pizza chicken picnic, that is, my chickens were also invited, and the theory would be they would hang out around the picnic table, like yard ornaments, awaiting, with perfect manners, their portion of the pizza - the crusts.

When we sat down, I asked them if they really meant to have the chickens out while we ate, and they said, "Why not?" I replied, "Because they'll all be on the table, snatching the pizza right out of your hands."

So they decided they'd invite the chickens AFTER we ate.

But, so many times, I've stuck something I was eating in my mouth, like you, only to have a bratty Welsummer race up and snatch it right from my mouth. They're dangerous, I tell you. They aren't yard ornaments.

10. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Hahaha yeah your right, that sounds funny! People don't realise the danger [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by