Well I got my first ducks last night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eggcellent, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Ever since I read the post about 101 things to love about ducks, I have been thinking about getting some. I saw an ad on craigslist yesterday for 4 pekin and 2 mallard ducks for sale (ready for roasting). I just couldn't resist and I thought they would probably prefer being egg layers to being dinner.

So now I have 6 HUGE ducks (They were much larger than I was envisioning, especially the pekins). The mallard ducks are a pair and I *think* I have one pekin drake and 3 hens. At least only one has the curled up tail feathers and he is quite a bit larger than the other three.

I was planning on housing them with the chickens but after reading how messy ducks are with water I am not so sure that's a great idea, particularly in winter.

I do have a 4'x4' coop that I was using to grow out some banties earlier this year. If I build them a decent sized run with a small pool/tub in it should that be adequate for them or do I need more square footage of shelter for them?

Whatever I decide to do, one thing was clear from my dog's reaction to the ducks last night - I can never leave the dog and ducks together unsupervised. My dog who normally pretty much ignores the chickens was literally salivating at the ducks [​IMG]

I gotta say after spending a little time corralling them and getting them all set up last night everything I read about ducks in the 101 things to love about ducks post was true. My wife and kids were laughing like crazy at their antics.

I will post some pictures of them later but in the mean time if anyone has any advice for a new duck owner I would love to hear it.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    With ducks, the more room the better. Kiddie pools are a great way to give them swimming time....but be prepared. Mine usually jump in and splash out half the water right after I fill it! LOL

3. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    With ducks, the more room the better. Kiddie pools are a great way to give them swimming time....but be prepared. Mine usually jump in and splash out half the water right after I fill it! LOL

I agree! And when I'm their lifeguard.....I get soaked!!! We have 5 chickens and 5 ducks living in the same coop just fine, but I do have to go out to the coop once in a while to check on everyone and the water situation as well:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by