Well.. I got two pairs of geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by farmchick897, Jun 27, 2010.

1. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    I found two pairs of Chinese Geese, so I bought a pair of whites and a pair of browns. Put them in a big carrier, drove them home, lugged the big carrier all the way down the hill to release them in the pond. Now remember 3 sides of this pasture is fenced with woven wire and the 4th side (at the top of the hill) is fenced with board fencing. That leads into my horse pasture. Didn't take them more than 10 seconds to come up the hill under the fence. UGH.... So, I had to put up an emergency wire against the boards so they would stay in that pasture. Meanwhile, I had to chase them down the hill 5 X, I hit the top of my head on electric wire, ouch..! This is all in HOT, Humid 90 degree weather. So, right now I'm not liking them too much. [​IMG] I have to go check on them when it cools off and they better be in that pasture.

2. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    Well i am enjoying the stry sitting in my lazy boy in the air conditioned house. Let us know what you find when you look. LOL

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Put yourself in their place. They are in an unfamiliar place and they are prey animals...meaning members of their species are often eaten. Right now, they are confused and looking for security. It might be a good idea to keep them confined and close to home until they feel confident in their new surroundings.

Hope things work out for all 5 of you.

4. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    I went to check on them, no sign of them, no noise. So.. took my sixth trip down the hill and they are in the pond under a tree. Looks like they are enjoying the water, I just hope they start eating pond lilys. Otherwise I might have to take a rake down there and start pulling them up.
    I really don't want them up by the barn or house, too much poop. They have a nice big pasture, pond, shelter and 2 guard emus to keep them safe. [​IMG]

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Keep a big bowl of poultry feed or scratch grains near where you want them to live, that should help them stay home. They should settle in as soon as they know what side their bread is buttered on [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You need to make them a 'house' or something to hide in if you want them to stay in the pasture. I have 5 geese, 2 embdens, 2 toulouse, and 1 african. They do not stay on the pond, they only go down there once or twice a day. Otherwise they are in the yard. They also sleep in the yard by the house, always have. I did have an american goose that would stay at the pond most of the day, but she was raised with ducks. The ducks only come to the house to eat, so that's probably why the goose stayed out by the pond. However, she would still come to the yard at night to sleep.

7. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    They haven't left the pond, at least that I have seen. So far, so good.

8. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Got some more, they are about 1/2 grown Pomeranians, hopefully a pair. They were so happy to be on the grass that they almost got a close up of the emu foot. I had to jump over the fence and chase emus away and then took them to the pond. Which they also thought was great. Question? what are the personality differences between the Chinese and Pomeranians? Also what can I look for to tell if they are pure of this breed or some type of crosses? The Pomeranians seem much calmer and friendlier but that may be only because they are still young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by