1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well, I guess I need to ask here..anyone going to set soon, or has?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cynthia12, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have some eggs coming by Wed. I am in need of some help along the way..soo, is anyone hatching quail soon? I have 20 buttons coming. First time hatching quail. I've hatched Nankins, they are small eggs, but I'm thinking that I'm in for some even smaller eggs.

I am really excited to have a chance at this..I've been reading, and I've been reading, and did I mention that I've been reading..upon quail that is, button quail, and others. Beautiful birds!

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I am always setting and hatching if that helps. I am VERY familiar with buttons so ask any questions [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:That's great! Oh, and trust me, I will be asking! [​IMG]

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
  5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:ooooh, would like to have some for that date too! Try a different breed of quail. I can't remember where I read it, but there is a favorite breed over the buttons for someone, but I guess everyone has their fav. Who sells quail eggs on here...will have to go look on here I guess.
    What I would really like..in color, and I don't know what the color is called, only the color..but I saw the most beautiful, blue and red! Wow! I like the Tuxedos too. hmmm..think I'm going to be one here after that babies hatch just to see what colors they are called. I only know the Tuxedo name. [​IMG]

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I think most of us raise corturnix, but there's buttons, bobwhites, gambels and some others that are raised here as well.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:On my way to look these up..thanks...

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:ooooh, would like to have some for that date too! Try a different breed of quail. I can't remember where I read it, but there is a favorite breed over the buttons for someone, but I guess everyone has their fav. Who sells quail eggs on here...will have to go look on here I guess.
    What I would really like..in color, and I don't know what the color is called, only the color..but I saw the most beautiful, blue and red! Wow! I like the Tuxedos too. hmmm..think I'm going to be one here after that babies hatch just to see what colors they are called. I only know the Tuxedo name. [​IMG]

There is a breeders directory. Button quail are Chinese Blue Breasted Quail (some people post as the real term) cbbq at times like me LOL. Tuxedo pieds are neat. I just hatched some from my pairs.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've been setting eggs just about every week here lately. Coturnix though, I don't normally hatch my buttons.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, looked up the other quail mentioned. I love the bobwhites, darling. I heard they are a loud bird?

Now the Gambles look a lot like we have running wild around here..only I think we call them California quail. Maybe there are some called California's, they just look similar. Very cute too. [​IMG]

Have to ask, why are folks hatching the corturnix so often?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by