Well, I guess the move wasn't traumatizing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SterlingAcres, Dec 4, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Because I got my first egg from the EE pullets I bought yesterday! I have a feeling it's Bellatrix, since her comb is larger and redder. I was gone for 2 hours to the feed store, so she laid it within that time frame. I gave them treats all morning and they seemed confused about what they were... but now they are happily munching away on mixed veggies, bread crusts and hot dog chunks.

Here's my photos [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Don't mind my wrinkly hands, I was washing dishes when DH came yelling he found an egg. LOL

[​IMG]
    Store bought egg comparison. It's a pretty good sized egg [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Store bought / Home grown cooking comparison. The EE egg is noticeably darker yolked. Both DH and I tasted it. We agree that the pullet egg is a more condensed, richer, fuller flavor.

I'm so excited! I've got an egg! [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    how great! yummy!

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Man oh man, I can't wait to post a pic of a first egg too!!

I love the color of yours, so pretty!! And the yolk is so much more vivid....is that a bullseye I see or is it just glare from the flash??

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:@#$%[email protected]#[email protected]# I didn't even check before I ate it!!! OMG. What a numbskull. LOL I'll check her next egg. She's been in with a roo, so I'm sure they're most likely fertile.

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Enjoy your first eggs they taste extra good [​IMG]

6. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Hi Shell. Glad they made the trip home. One of the ones you didn't pick laid an egg in the crate before we got home.

I see you think one is a roo ... didn't think any of them were roos ... has it crowed? Let me know, I'll refund your $5.00.

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Yes, we made it fine! They were panting from generating so much heat in the box, but they're happy and loving life in their little cage. LOL They'll be ecstatic to get out free ranging, I'm sure.

Yes, one is most definitely a rooster. It's attempting to molest the pullets, but it hasn't let out a crow yet. Don't worry about the $5. You gave me a deal on laying pullets anyways. I may want more in the future, so keep me in mind [​IMG]

8. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    It appears Crookshanks must be laying too. She's the next largest, more adult looking bird. I just got another egg 10 minutes ago. LOL

[​IMG]

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, you got some egg layin machines!!! enjoy!!

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I'm soooo jealous! [​IMG] I can't wait until our EE's start laying. Congrats on the pretty eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by