Well i guess they didn't like their new heat lamp bulb...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, Apr 23, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    since they managed to jump up and shatter the thing!!! [​IMG] at least no one looks hurt and the glass fell between the slots on the bottom, but they're going without one for the night since i have no time to drive to the feed store and get them another, especially since i just bought this one YESTERDAY. [​IMG] this also prooves that it's time for the lid to go back on if they can jump that high!

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    How old are they? Heat is very important for chicks.
    Do you have a regular incandescent bulb you could put in the brooder fixture?
    Does your brooder fixture have a cage on it?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I didn't realize they could shatter the bulb. I see my chicks often fly to the top of the dog kennel. I have the brooder light inside the kennel for now until the little one grows a bit more feathers.

What naughty little chickies you have.[​IMG]

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    OH, they can fly.

That is the reason I moved my week olds to the garage to the big brooder out of the little one in the house.

They were flying across the little one knocking each other over.

Now in the big one there is plenty of room for the ones that want to get in the corner to sleep and the ones that want to practice flying...they are a hoot to watch.

But any light bulb is better than nothing on the young ones. Just keep it up high enough....and that is why there is the little cage on the light holder....but mine can't get to the light in the brooder as there is a chicken wire cover over it.

5. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oh my gosh... I cant believe they actually shattered it!!!!
    If your house if very well heated and they are over 2 weeks I think you will be ok!!
    [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The thin glass on the heating bulbs does make me nervous. Once they get too active, at 2 weeks or so, I switch to a 120 watt flood lamp. The flat surfaced, very hard glass kind. I don't think they can break that. No, it doesn't produce the heat of the 250 wt thin glass type, but by then, they only need 80 degrees anyhow to be comfortable. I also think the wires that criss cross the lamp holder helps some, but only some. I'm sure rowdy chicks can find a way to break those heat lamp bulbs, as they are pretty fragile.

7. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    it's about 70 in my room and i've given them just a regular light bulb and they seem just fine... and now it's sitting on TOP of their CLOSED cage. lol! and they're still flying around and around...

8. Quirky

Quirky Tufted, not Rumpless

Apr 17, 2011
    The Granite State
    OK, I promise I'm not laughing at the misfortune of having to replace a new bulb....but it's hilarious how naughty they are:lau. I cannot wait to watch the antics of my chicks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Just wanted to ask if you saw the bulb break? could it have been a bad bulb? I had one break like that right after I got it and nobody had touched it. I also broke one more recently when I was putting the waterer in one drob splashed on the bulb and boom it was history.

10. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    oh, i'm pretty sure they broke it. I'd seen them hit the rim of the lamp a couple times and heard them crashing into it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by