1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well I have decided !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Feb 9, 2014.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    I have decided to wait on my broody miniature silkie until spring ( March 20 and onwards) She went broody on me on Friday evening and I can now definitely confirm that she is broody I had to try and break her but failed as I am not aloud to hatch chicks until spring my question is will she last broody until march or will she be likely to give up? Every morning I get u and take her out the nest to eat and drink and have a peck round the garden for about 15 mins then she will run back to her empty nest also every morning she some how gets and egg from a nest box across the other side of the coop Mhmmm.... Wonder what happens in that coop when I'm not there Lol any way I am planning on keeping her broody until then she has all ready plucked her Chest and I am feeling sorry for her as she just wants babies but I have to stay tough and wait ( I am very impatient as you can see) here are some pics of her at the moment [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    . Anyone :confused:

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I don't think it's a good idea to try to keep her broody that long, even for a silkie. Chances are too high she will give up half way though the real setting, and that's heartbreaking to lose the clutch of eggs. I'd break her now and let her try again later in the spring. To break her, put her into a cage with a wire floor (no bedding). You might also reduce her food (but not water), as I've seen hunger break a broody unintentionally. Obviously, do that in moderation. A bare wire cage should do it within a week, I would think.

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by