Well, I just chased a FOX out of the yard!

dindonuffin

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
Central Alabama
Guess it's time to start looking for a trap or start carrying when ever I'm out with the chickens. So far I've not had any problems with predators, the neighbors have about 100 chickens in an open top fenced in area (with an open coop). So maybe Mr. Fox will do his shopping over there
hu.gif

Oh no! Same here, we have a ton of foxes (and baby foxes) and they leave us alone in favor of the chickens across the street that are always out.
hmm.png
Around here they're still pretty skittish around people, so it's not too hard to shoo them away for now.

I took off running after this one yelling like a crazy man and it took off for the woods. I hope the neighbors didn't see me, they may think I lost my mine running through the yard like that
celebrate.gif

Haha it's the just the adrenaline
gig.gif
Thrill of the chase lol! Occasionally I may be seen shouting, clapping my hands, and waving my arms all while running towards an open field where there's nothing but a chicken coop. One time I was in the barn so I just threw a broom at it! (I missed)
tongue.png

It was late in the afternoon but still daylight. It was a good size fox too. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were in town and seen a young red fox walking down the drive of the local Ford dealership in the middle of the day.
A year ago my wife went out the back door one night and came running back inside. I asked what was going on and she said she was going down the steps and a fox was coming up the steps! Needless to say, she did not go back out that night!!!
And no I've never set traps before, but I will now.

Last edited:
A good sized fox could be a vixen, getting food for her Kitts.

If it is a vixen:

As long as she is not successful at taking any chickens, eventually she'll give up and look else where.

If she gets even one chicken, then you'll be on her hunting path for a long long time. They are pretty stubborn once they've had a successful hunt.

....I hate to be persistent, have you ever set for foxes before?

A good sized fox could be a vixen, getting food for her Kitts.

If it is a vixen:

As long as she is not successful at taking any chickens, eventually she'll give up and look else where.

If she gets even one chicken, then you'll be on her hunting path for a long long time. They are pretty stubborn once they've had a successful hunt.

....I hate to be persistent, have you ever set for foxes before?

No I never have, any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom