Well I just couldn't do it

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stone_family3, Jan 29, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Meat rabbits are just not for me :( I loved the ideas of it.

So the strays I captured and were going to use as breeders I'm actually rehoming. Turns out we ended up with much more males then females and it's getting costly.

I wish I could have found someone to process them for me, would have made this venture much more easier.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I watched a video on you tube once for a hook that you use to break their neck,and then hang them while you process. Looks pretty fast and easy. I think the nerves over the actual deed is far worse than the deed itself. I was like this when I had to chop off a sick hens head. I fretted over it for weeks till I got up the nerve to do it. I realised it wasn't so bad once it was done.

I think the hook is called a rabbit wringer.

http://therabbitwringer.com/

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Maybe next year. It's funny- for me, rabbits are the exact same things as cats. We used to have a house rabbit, but she died. I never knew people kept rabbits in cages for several years. In my mind that's like keeping a cat in a dog kennel. The rabbit was potty trained in everything. I miss her. [​IMG]. Now, of course, I know most people keep rabbits in cages, but it's still a hard concept for me to grasp. [​IMG]. I don't know why. So in my mind it surprised me whenever I see people raising rabbits for meat. They're so soft and cuddly!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Well I rehomed all the extra rabbits. And I only have my actual pet Belldandy. This will be a big help with the food bill, those guys were eating me out of house and home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by