Well I just lost the 2nd and last chick... so sad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I don't know what happened.. this chick was improving from nearly dying from the cold when Emilio didn't know she had to sit on it.. chick was trying to stand last night... able to water itself when put next to the waterer... this morning she seemed fine, then I don't know what happened. she was quieter so I went to check on her and she was under Emilio but weak.. I gave her more water but she seemed to be weak on the left side. Not really standing and the left eye seemed a little swollen. Emilio was kicking up a storm, making a mess of the waterer with shavings. Maybe she stepped on her?

Anyway, chick perked up a little and I gave her a tiny bit of yoghurt as the crumbles even seemed big and uninteresting. she was peeping away but momma was not interested in tending her now. so I moved the light to keep her warmer... Emilio laid next to her but not on her. I moistened some crumble but the chick had no interest ( unlike momma). I left them about an hour and when I came back, the chick was dead.... I let Emilio outside to join the other hens and when I moved the dog crate outside, she went in to investigate but goes back to roaming the year.

Looks like her broodiness broke. Guess we will be having a funeral later today.

2. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    So sorry [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] about the babie's

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    sry i had 1 i thought i was gonna lose the other day when my day old chicks arrived she was just laying in the box breathing. I put her under heat lamp no change made her drink some water she still didn't moved. Then i gave her two cap fulls of blue gatoraide. And bam she was up and running like 3 hrs later guess i got lucky. sry again for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by