Well,I just put 4 eggs in the bator!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NYRIR, Mar 10, 2012.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    .....yesterday....we shall see if the Mr is doing his job correctly after all![​IMG]

These are Toulouse (production) geese...any suggestions? I have followed Pete55's page so far and even weighed the eggs. One is 173g!!

I'm excited to see if any are fertile...if not I have a back up plan anyway...I ordered 6 goslings this year for April

Anyone else got goose eggs in?

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Good luck with your eggs, what are your incubator settings for temp and humidity?

Pete [​IMG]

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi Pete,
    The temp is running around 100.5 and the humidity is right about 50-55%.I have had a hard time calibrating my hygrometer though,so it may be a little off. I have both vents open in an LG Still Air.I currently have some chicken eggs in there as well, so I warmed the goose eggs up in another empty bator (the hatcher) for a couple hoursbefore moving them to this one.
    These are Chloeys eggs, so not sure if her mate is doing things correctly yet.I plan to candle on day 4-5 and follow your chart to see if they are doing anything.

I hope so. I dropped one the other day (I was MORTIFIED!) but I was able to look at the yolk (HUGE!) and see what I think was a bullseye on the side of the yolk...I know they usually are on the top but I did drop it...what do you think?

4. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi - the bullseye on the yolk sounds promising but once you set the eggs you'll know within the week if they're fertile. I think your temperature is a liitle high at 100.5F - is it a still air or fan assisted incubator?

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Still Air

6. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Thats not too bad then - I usually measure the temperature at a height which is level with the centre of the egg in a still air incubator.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Problem is I have these "button" thermometer/hygrometers. They are really cool except the one is reading low on humidity. I calibrated it by setting it in a bag with salt/1/2 cup and water /1/4 cup and left it for over 8 hours.I adjusted the knob but it is still 8% off at the highest adjustment.

Anyway, they have to be set on the floor of the bator. The temp there is reading 99.5 so I figure towards the top must be around 100.5.I just bought a fan for the LG but can't install it in the middle of incubation for my chicken eggs...

8. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012

there are several of us over at Iain Utah's Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!! thread... Pete ( bless his heart) pops in and keeps an eye on us there.

9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thank you...

10. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Nevermind...not.one.fertile.egg. [​IMG] Guess I have to wait a bit longer....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by