Well, I ordered my 12 Golden 300 hybrids from Metzer's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Denninmi, May 19, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    For shipment next week.

Wish me luck, I'm nervous about this -- I've never ordered birds through the mail. I know people do it all the time.

Our post office here is not known for their customer service, and this is a suburban community with a lot of corporate offices, retail, and residential, but I doubt they have much experience with receiving shipments of live birds.

2. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    My area isn't really a livestock type community... but my post office calls immedeately...they don't want to be responsible for any damage or death; plus I think the female postal workers want to see whats inside. I wouldn't worry about it, you'll get your ducks from them just fine; besides, the hybrids are very lively and loud as ducklings so the post office shouldn't miss them.

Good luck! I hope you're prepared for a ton of eggs: a dozen a day!? I hope you have a large family. Have you thought of staggering a forced moult between 2 groups so you can keep some production while the others are refeathering? I think I would do that if I had more room. If I get my chickens next year I'll be able to do that easily.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I'm getting between a dozen and a dozen and half eggs a day now, plus the quail eggs (which are around 15-20 a day).

They were building up for a while. Now the extended family is calling and asking for more than I can come up with.

And, of course, some of the older birds may not produce reliably too much longer. My oldest RIR hens are going to be 3 next week.

I figure it's not that big of a deal. If I have too many and literally don't know what else to do with them, I'll just boil them up and feed them back to the birds.

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:I live in a small town and always bring a note to my post office a few days before ducks/chicks are supposed to be delivered. On the note I list my name, address, phone #, animals that are coming and when they should arrive. I also request I get a phone call as soon as possible so I can come get them quickly. I've got calls anywhere between 5:45 am to 2:30 pm.

I find if I leave this note with them instead of calling or stopping by to verbally give the info it works out much better as they can pass the message along or post it so whoever is on duty at the time of delivery can call. I've received calls so early that I was at the post office (barely out of my jammies [​IMG]) before the chicks were even off the delivery truck [​IMG]

I've also ordered chicks/duckling through the mail for 9 years now and yes have had a few DOAs but it's been rare. I live in Central MA and have ordered ducklings from Metzer's (in CA) twice now and never lost a single one during delivery and they are coming from the west coast all the way to the east coast. If you lose any just call Metzer's and they will credit you for the loss but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

eta: You will love the Golden 300s. I still have 2 (they are 8 years old now!) from my original flock of 4. They don't lay eggs anymore but they are still so personable to have around, I just love them. These two girls know their names and whosever's name I call that particular duck comes running up from the woods to see what I want. Last year I added a WH, 2 Cayugas and a chocolate runner to the flock. I am very happy with the new four but have a special place in my heart for the Golden 300s. In fact when my original two are gone I will get more of this wonderful breed.

Last edited: May 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by