WELL.. I think maybe two more?? Are Welsh Harlequins loud??

Jul 3, 2020
Hey everyone the babies are doing great!!! Thank God. Now.. i had originally had an order for a silver and a welsh from metzer to come end of august.. this was before my sweet Shiloh died and let Eve alone.. which then as many of you know led me to get three little ones sooner.. they are all getting along fabulously!!

So.. i feel guilty canceling my order ( like i am abandoning them).. but i recently i heard welsh harlequins can be very loud!! is this true??.. then i thought maybe i will get another silver and cayuga and then everyone will be a pair..
2 pekin
2 silvers
2 cayuga

(it seems my little pekin and ,my big pekin actually knew they were the same breed?? can this be??

ok guys... send me your thoughts!! you are all always so helpful!!

My welsh harlequin is so loud. So very loud. She shout quacks all day. But I've heard others say that their WHs are quiet. I've also heard people say their cayuga are quite, and my cayuga was louder than my welsh harlequin. Also, I've heard members claim that their khaki campbells are loud, while my 2 have been rather quiet and mostly peep - even as adults.

This leads me to believe that ducks are individuals and you never know when you'll get a shout quacker who likes the sound of her own voice.

I also suspect that ducks enjoy being with their own breed the best. My theory is that some amount of imprinting happens when they are newly hatched and in a big group of their own breed.

I started with 3 cayuga and 3 welsh harlequin ducklings. I got them at only a few days old, and put them together in a brooder. But before I got them they were separated by breed. They did intermingle, but frequently I noticed all the cayuga were together and all the WH were together. Later I adopted a WH hen. She immediately started following my other WH duck around, and ignored my other breeds.

Hey everyone the babies are doing great!!! Thank God. Now.. i had originally had an order for a silver and a welsh from metzer to come end of august.. this was before my sweet Shiloh died and let Eve alone.. which then as many of you know led me to get three little ones sooner.. they are all getting along fabulously!!

So.. i feel guilty canceling my order ( like i am abandoning them).. but i recently i heard welsh harlequins can be very loud!! is this true??.. then i thought maybe i will get another silver and cayuga and then everyone will be a pair..
2 pekin
2 silvers
2 cayuga

(it seems my little pekin and ,my big pekin actually knew they were the same breed?? can this be??

ok guys... send me your thoughts!! you are all always so helpful!!
Honestly I think duck personality and noise level really depends on the individual duck not so much the breed. I've had "quiet" breeds that I ended up with a noise hen and "loud" breeds where I ended up with quiet hens. I have noticed though that hens tend to get quieter over time. Maybe it's just my ducks, but that's been my personal experience. Also the bigger the space they have to roam the quieter they seem to be. For example, I have one young hen who is very noisy when you walk into the barn and it's all locked up for the night. However, once she is let out for the day only maybe once or twice will I hear her sound off.

I have 7 WH. When free ranging I hardly hear them. Penned they will join the others in calling to be let out, but are probably my quietest. I currently also have runners, Pekins, and Ancons. I too think personality has a lot to do with the noise levels. My current Pekins let the world know about everything, but I had some a few years ago that hardly made a peep.

My Welsh was very loud but I agree with KalelAm that it is the individual. I also think it depends on the circumstances. I posted in the past that my silver Swedish never made any noise. Then, this summer, after my loud Welsh died, my Silver seemed to decide that if she quacked really loud, starting at sun up, she would get fed faster. Sadly it worked, and I reinforced it (didn’t want the neighbors to complain).

My WH are super quiet, I have 14 of them and I rarely hear them. The next noisier is my two pilgrim geese and then the LOUDEST (so far) is my white layer hen. My bedroom is on the opposite side of my property and she has no trouble waking me up to be let out if I sleep in. And I’m NOT a heavy sleeper. The welshie hens have started making a kind of chirping sound that is really a quack but a little more musical and songbirdy.

Back
Top Bottom